Author Topic: Diarrhoea  (Read 673 times)

Offline trongo88

Diarrhoea
« on: February 24, 2017, 08:59:47 AM »
Ollie woke us up early today, and ran outside to pee as usual, however he did 2 liquid poos, came back in and went out again and done another 2 liquid poops. Since being up for 1 hour he's done 6 liquid poops already. Should I take him to the vet immediately? He's 7 months old and never had diarrhoea, was eating well yesterday just like normal.

Should I wait it out and see if he recovers? I hear you suppose to fast him if possible for first 24 hours?

Any advice will be appreciated

Offline feelreid

Re: Diarrhoea
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 09:19:00 AM »
If he's not eaten anything different I'd maybe give the vet a phone for advice.  It may just be he's picked up a wee bug, my girl was the same, absolutely fine in herself but had really yellow runny poo and that's what happened to her, dome antibiotics and a few days on chicken and rice and she was as right as rain 😊

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Offline feelreid

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 09:20:56 AM »
Sorry forgot t say would not recommend fasting, dehydration is a real concern when having the runs.  Something bland and gentle on the tummy is best, maybe some scrambled egg with no milk or seasoning or sone boiled rice maybe

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 09:46:27 AM »
I think giving the Vet a ring is
the way forward...they will give you
advice and reassurance. As Ollie is
still only young I would want their advice.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 12:47:32 PM »
Can never go wrong with giving the vet a ring, especially on a friday it is better to call early then wait until closing. But his general condition is the most important thing to evaluate. If dogs are drinking and eating and behaving normally, no vomiting or anything like that, then they are usually ok.

You can buy probiotics and food that is gentle on the stomach at the vets. Even just the probiotics will help get him back to normal quicker.

As long as my dog is otherwise healthy and not vomiting I usually give the tummy rest for a day and then feed small meals of mild food until the stomach is stable, and then gradually re-introduce the normal food over a few days. If the diarrhoea lasts more than a couple of days or if my dog is generally looking ill or has any vomiting then I will contact the vet.

Offline trongo88

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 01:07:31 PM »
Thanks for all the advice!

Ollie is still like his normal self, and was still looking for his food this morning, so I decided to take the advice and gave him some rice with scrambled egg. He scoffed it down no problem, had his morning nap, and ready to go out for a walk now. No vomitting or anything so will just keep an eye on him and hopefully the diarrhoea will resolve itself soon! Will definitely look into getting the pro biotics! Thanks everyone again for the advice.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 01:24:48 PM »
Glad he is better today.  :D

When Coco has the squits I don't worry too much unless she is totally out of sorts or it goes on for more than about 24 hours.  It is usually because she has snaffled something disgusting that she shouldn't have or someone has given her the wrong sort of treats  >:(  If it lasts longer, or the dog is very subdued and poorly, they I would talk to the vet as it could be something like a bug or bacterial infection rather than just something that they need to get out of their system.  Obviously, with a very young pup or generally weak or poorly dog, a vet call would be wise earlier on.

You can withhold food or feed a little boiled chicken or fish with some rice.  Tinned, plain pumpkin is very good for settling a runny tummy too and I often add some live yogurt.  As long as they are lively and drinking enough, I don't think withholding food for a day does any harm.  ;)
Julie and Watson