Author Topic: A sad thought- what do you do ?  (Read 1644 times)

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
A sad thought- what do you do ?
« on: February 26, 2017, 12:10:59 PM »
If your pet dies at home how do you dispose of the body if you have no suitable garden & are not into cremation.
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: A sad thought- what do you do ?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 12:22:22 PM »
There are pet cemeteries.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline lescef

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 12:49:37 PM »
Will the vet take it ?
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 12:51:44 PM »
Will the vet take it ?

It hasn't happened...........I was just wondering  :dunno:
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 12:54:33 PM »
Julie I am so sorry - oh my goodness is anyone with you at the moment.

Yes I worked at a vets and my vet used to take dogs, he would be able to help you - ring the vet and speak to whoever is covering ans ask there advice and options.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 03:07:26 PM »
Julie I am so sorry - oh my goodness is anyone with you at the moment.

See above - it hasn't happened.  It is just a random question  ;)

You could take the animal to a vet for cremation but if you are not into that then I guess a pet cemetery is the only option  :-\
Julie and Watson

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 03:28:53 PM »
Bless you "Jaysmumagain",  I'm so sorry I gave the wrong impression  :doh:

I often look after my grandsons OLD dog (Our deceased daughters pet) when he goes away, we have discuses if Jake has to be P.T.S but I just wondered if he died in his sleep "what to do",  all my old dog's ave been p.t.s by the vet.
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline assumpta

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 03:37:44 PM »
Pet cemeteries arrange everything. They come within the hour usually and collect your pet and sort out the casket. You then arrange a little burial, its all so digified and is very like a human burial. Our local pet cemetry even have a tearoom and flower displays. My mum gave one a ring as she's in a similar situation and its put her mind at rest.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 03:56:44 PM »
Phew what a relief...just like me not to read it fully :shades:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 05:23:21 PM »
when i take my staffy to mums to  stay I have to reassure her of " the plan of action" should Pop, pop her clogs. 
Mine have all been cremated ( still got them all).   There is nothing wrong with speaking and finding out your options before its time.  When I have known my boys and girls time is over, the arrangements have been made  to tie in with the vets visit.

Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 08:14:42 PM »
It is sensible to be prepared.  Many years ago, Casper our cat jumped up onto the neighbour's fence and had a heart attack - dying instantly.  We had no idea what to do with his body.  I rang the vet and we took him there and it was really sad as when the vet nurses realised it was our Casper cat, they were upset too!  (He had skin cancer when younger and had to have his ears amputated so they knew him really well) 

That is the only time we have lost a pet in sudden circumstances and we had no idea so really impressed that you have thought about it in advance.  Let's hope it is a very long time before any of us need to do this.  ;)
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 08:22:29 PM »
Slightly off-topic but I had a cat die from a heart attack too. She was in my daughter's room, jumped off the bed and was walking towards the door when she collapsed. Dead within seconds. She was seven years old. Very shocking for all concerned. I called our vet even though I could see she was dead, and they said to bring her straight in. They gave me options on how I wanted her taken care of and they arranged everything.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 08:01:02 AM »
Slightly off-topic but I had a cat die from a heart attack too. She was in my daughter's room, jumped off the bed and was walking towards the door when she collapsed. Dead within seconds. She was seven years old. Very shocking for all concerned. I called our vet even though I could see she was dead, and they said to bring her straight in. They gave me options on how I wanted her taken care of and they arranged everything.

I was so shocked.  Once Casper had recovered from his skin cancer, he was so fit.  He was a truly lovely cat - an kitten I had watched being born and had kept cos he was just a one off.   He was such a character and loved the dogs - who loved him back!  The vet could only assume it was a heart attack because of the speed it happened - we didn't want them to do a post mortem.  We are pleased that Casper died whilst doing what he loved - jumping around and playing - and presumably knew nothing about it.
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 09:51:03 AM »
Thanks for your reply's.

I suppose this will be of interest to a lot of you.

My grandson is only 22 & Jake is almost 13, as he has no mum & dad he turns to us (he lived with us the latter part of his life, before he bought his own flat & took Jake with him)  So of course he expects Gran & Grandad to know everything, so  try to oblige, with your help this is just another "wrinkle" in my befuddled brain.  :005:

Thanks for all your help  :luv:
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 10:27:30 AM »
Many years ago I woke in the morning to find my dog in a bad state. I immediately phoned the vet, unfortunately he died while I was on the phone. They were very good, they offered to come and collect him ( for a charge ) or we could take him along. We took him there, still in his bed. They let us take him in round the back so we didn't have to go through reception and then did what they had to do. I'd speak to your vet and see what services they offered.
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12