Author Topic: Ear Medication Please Help  (Read 828 times)

Offline kobesdad

Ear Medication Please Help
« on: November 14, 2023, 06:34:17 PM »
Hey everyone hope you are all fabulous?  Ok I need to give Kobe ear drops and it is proving mission impossible.  He refuses to let me go near his ears.  We are now at the snarling and growling stage.  I have tried muzzling and wrapping him up in a towel but it just isn't happening.  He goes insane and we can't control or restrain him.  I am now at my wits end where I am thinking sedation might be the only answer.  Anyone got any advice YouTube videos make it looks so easy. 

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Re: Ear Medication Please Help
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2023, 07:53:29 PM »
Sorry to hear you are having trouble. They are so strong when you wrestle them, aren’t they.  Plus if you get stressed they get worse. I've had to do ear medication, but admit have not had trouble, but my current lad is like that having his dew claws clipped, in fact I take him to the vet for the nurse to do it (even my lovely vet can't do it cos he goes berserk). Suggest you have a glass of wine to unwind. 👍. Then get a really delicious treat, like sausage or cheese or a bit of beef, something really luscious. Cut it into small bits and see if you can hold it between your fingers and let him 'mouth' it and lick, whilst holding it tight, make a fuss of him, without touching his ears, do it a few times and see if you can move towards his head, whilst keeping calm. Gently stroking his head gradually, moving towards his ears, take your time. If he gets really stressed stop and give him a break for an hour and try again.
Earscan be so sore, I know, my last boy had to have medication twice a day for his last five years (his ear drums went) but the medication does make them feel better. Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
Lesley (me) and Dylan (him 🐾).
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 08:17:27 PM »
That's really difficult and stressful for both of you.  If you smeared pate, or peanut butter on a smooth surface, (tiled wall, upvc door ) at a suitable height, could you maybe sneak drops in then? 

Offline kobesdad

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 08:44:40 PM »
We have tried lick pads, lifting him up on the table and trying to restrain him but had zero luck. 

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Ear Medication Please H
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2023, 01:40:45 PM »
Ears are difficult, Humphrey‘s pretty laid back but although he loves to have his ears massaged, stroked, brushed etc if he thinks I‘ve got other intentions , especially if I‘m wheedling and armed with a bottle  >:D he can get very stroppy, so I have to resort to a great deal of subterfuge  :shades: - I soak a piece of cotton wool with his ear wash for instance and then squeeze it out in his ear and he hardly notices but if he evens sees me get the bottle out of the cupboard, the trouble starts!  Ear drops aren‘t that easy but can you possible hide the bottle in your fist somehow? 
I can only suggest what others have said, keep your cool and try to be a matter of fact as you can, making it an issue just makes matters worse, they’re just SO astute they pick up on anything unusual so before it becomes a battle of wills, stop and try again later, preferably when he‘s fed, walked, tired and relaxed ( a very small window, granted!  ;))  All sounds so easy , in theory!, :005: but I know its not, you just have to keep reminding yourself, he’s not being awkward he‘s just frightened poor little lad.
Best of luck, hope Kobe‘s feeling better soon!  :luv: