Author Topic: Tilly has been called a Tri colour twice now???  (Read 5808 times)

Offline butterflywings21

• Tilly 10/02/2013~Jenson 09/01/2019
Tilly has been called a Tri colour twice now???
« on: February 19, 2014, 08:29:27 PM »

Twice now I have had people comment on what a lovely Tri colour cocker I have. Tilly was black with a small amount of white on her chin, chest and foot. As the months have gone by she has gained more tan on her face, legs, feet, bottom and underneath her, she has also gained more white on her bottom, feet and underneath and one foot has a red/brown colour.
I can't get good photos at the moment to show these, just her face.
My question is, is she still classed  as a Black cocker like her kennel papers???

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Tilly has been called a Tri colour twice now???
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 08:43:03 PM »
Pretty girl :luv: who looks like a black and tan to me, but I can't see any of her white bits. Do you have a photo showing those as well?

Out of curiosity, what colours were her parents?

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 08:43:28 PM »
I always assumed from your profile pic she was solid black! She has def got some eyebrows now though  :luv: Don't tricolours have a lot more white though?

Hudson's tan points have changed colour as he's grown, from quite orangey to more golden/ blonde. He's always obviously been black and tan though.

Offline butterflywings21

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 09:03:02 PM »
here's some photos... Dad is the dog at the back (chocolate and tan), mum with the puppies and an old photo of Tilly and her white bits...
Her white bits on chin and chest have grown she also has white and tan back feet and the colouring goes in between her toes and pads. she has white and blonde looking marks under her back legs and a different colour around her butt. She has more tan going through her legs as well.
When I can get more photos I will (now I have worked out how to post photos quicker).

Offline butterflywings21

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 10:11:34 PM »

a better photo.

one of her tummy and you can just see the one tip of her foot.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 10:33:34 PM »
I think (without meaning to be rude in any way) that in showing terms she's mismarked, which doesn't matter in the slightest as you're not showing her. She has one solid coloured parent (chocolate and tan sire) and one parti-coloured parent (her mum). Solids and partis aren't usually mixed and when they are the result is often puppies that have a mix of colourings and markings.

JaneS would be the person to explain it better :blink: but I think that Tilly's technically a black, white and tan tricolour as she has too much white on her to be a black and tan.

Offline butterflywings21

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 10:38:45 PM »
You're not rude at all. Didn't know they are usually not mixed. I'm glad she was in a way as she is an individual and it suits my household  :005: :005:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 10:49:28 PM »
I've done Tilly a disservice, having just read this http://www.thecockerspanielclub.co.uk/colours.htm which states that there is no such thing as a mismarked particolour, so apologies to Tilly :luv:

There's a picture of a tricolour on the 4th page :blink:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 10:52:19 PM »
Ironically, now that she's a parti-colour I'm having to move the thread :lol2:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 11:12:51 PM »
She looks like a mismarked black and tan - if she was a tricolour she would have a lot more white all over her body with solid coloured patches and the tan points, like her mother in the photo you've posted or the tricoloured dog in the Cocker Club link. Solid coloured dogs can have white on their chests, faces and paws but still be solids - my Tilly has a huge white patch covering the entire front of her chest, a white chin, some white hairs around her lower belly and white toes on all four paws - she has quite a bit more white on her than your Tilly looks to have in the photos above but she's still a solid liver.

However your Tilly's parentage is confusing as it's not genetically possible for liver and tan and liver, white and tan parents to produce black puppies :-\ Two recessive colours cannot produce a dominant one unless one is a black-pigmented gold.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline butterflywings21

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 11:20:09 PM »
She looks like a mismarked black and tan - if she was a tricolour she would have a lot more white all over her body with solid coloured patches and the tan points, like her mother in the photo you've posted or the tricolour dog in the Cocker Club link. Solid coloured dogs can have white on their chests, faces and paws - my Tilly has a huge white patch covering the entire front of her chest, a white chin, some white hairs around her lower belly and white toes on all four paws - she has quite a bit more white on her than your Tilly looks to have in the photos above but she's still a solid liver.

However your Tilly's parentage is confusing as it's not genetically possible for liver and tan and liver, white and tan parents to produce black puppies :-\ Two recessive colours cannot produce a dominant one unless one is a black-pigmented gold.
??? Now I'm confused? Her older sister was black as well.

Offline butterflywings21

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 11:21:22 PM »
so when posting pics I'll have to put her in parti one's.

Offline butterflywings21

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 11:22:25 PM »
I've done Tilly a disservice, having just read this http://www.thecockerspanielclub.co.uk/colours.htm which states that there is no such thing as a mismarked particolour, so apologies to Tilly :luv:

There's a picture of a tricolour on the 4th page :blink:
I looked at that photo earlier and loved it.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 11:29:14 PM »
If her mum is a liver tricolour in order to produce black pups she would have to have been mated to a dog that carried the dominant black gene as she herself can't carry it (or she'd be a black tricolour). It's not possible for a liver and tan dog to carry this gene either, or he wouldn't be liver and tan, he'd be black and tan as black is dominant to liver. For the liver mum to produce black puppies she had to be mated to a black-carrying dog e.g. a solid black, black and tan, black-pigmented gold.

Genetically liver dogs are bb. Black is either Bb (black carrying liver) or BB (homozygous black). So two bb dogs can't produce a Bb or BB pup, if that makes sense?

so when posting pics I'll have to put her in parti one's.

No, she is a solid black and tan, just with white markings!
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Fluff

• Donator
  • Daisy the whirling dervish
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 11:51:29 PM »
Was her dad def liver and tan and not black and tan? Sometimes Daisy's fur can look a bit chocolateish if she's been out in the sun a lot! (Or in the mud  :005: )

She's lovely though, very unusual markings  :luv: