Author Topic: Kc Pappers  (Read 3432 times)

Offline AmandaA

• Site Member
Kc Pappers
« on: September 16, 2005, 06:09:22 PM »
Hi ,
Can anyone tell me if you can buy a puppy that is kc, but you the new owner picks the name. <_< so when you send of to register the new puppy ie change of owner ship you pick the name you would like.
This is a new one on me as i thought you (the breeder) picked the names for your puppies when you first register  them as a littler. I have spoke to someone who said they have family who have done this free with no extra charge.
Amanda, Lennox,Molly,Jasmine,Lotte & Ruby & Doogie xxxx

Offline louisamoss

• Site Member
  • Holly and Bella
Kc Pappers
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 06:11:16 PM »
I don't know the answer but I am interested to see if you can do this. :)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Kc Pappers
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 06:19:34 PM »
Depends how soon you get with the breeder and the relationship etc you have with them. I picked my Buddy's name - had the breeder's affix but the rest was an agreed choice jointly made. But then I'd been working with the breeder so to speak for weeks before the mating let alone the birth. ;)

Some breeders follow naming conventions around the alphabet, films, cars etc etc and so have the KC names for their puppies all sirted and dont like to make any changes but many do.

Often puppies bought from one Affix that then go to another have their name changed to include the new affix. That's where you'll see "so and so so and so at so and so". The "at" suggests they've been bought into this other affix owners care ;)  For example, if Gilly bought a puppy from Jane it might become Shenmore Beautiful at Glowstar. :D

If it's something you want to do then ask away.

hth
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Kc Pappers
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 06:30:03 PM »
I've let one of my new owners pick the KC name but I did have a theme so it had to be within that theme  ;) but they did have quite a few names to pick from and the 1st and 2nd choice was theirs  :)

As far as I'm aware you can't pick the name when you change ownership this has to be done at 1st registration and by the breeder. If you are in regular contact with the breeder it shouldn't be a problem. I would never register a puppy in an owners name before they picked it up as if they changed their mind at the last minute the puppy wouldn't legally be mine  ;)

Offline AmandaA

• Site Member
Kc Pappers
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 06:30:33 PM »
Thanks pammy,
The buyer said that his mother bought a cocker at 8 weeks old with kc papers  but the pups name was blank so they picked his name. Do you know if this can be done.
Surely this is not possible as you must provide the KC with a name when registering your puppies.

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Kc Pappers
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 06:48:16 PM »
Don't think you can register with no name - how can there be a registration :blink:

This is definitaly KC we're talking about isn't it and not something like Pet Lovers Registration :blink:  :o
Pam n the boys

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Kc Pappers
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 06:56:42 PM »
Molo's breeder had been issued names/certificates for all the pups in the litter; she had two dog certificates so we got to chose which of the names was given to Molo  :) His litter were named after wines ,so we got to chose a wine we enjoyed  :lol:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline AmandaA

• Site Member
Kc Pappers
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 07:04:32 PM »
Hi Pammy
That's pretty much what we said but he insists that the dogs his relatives bought were KC registered and when doing the change of ownership they were also allowed to pick a name as it had been left blank.
Surely the only way to get the name you want is as everyone else is saying, you must be in contact with the breeder before registration.
The buyer picked up our litter details from the KC website, so obviously this meant our puppies had already been registered.

Offline *juliet*

• Site Member
Kc Pappers
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 07:05:20 PM »
You can register your pup after you have brought it but you must have then parents kc name and number (i think).  To register the puppy by the breeder you do have to supply two or three names. Well that is what i had to do someone else might tell you different.

Offline AmandaA

• Site Member
Kc Pappers
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 07:08:36 PM »
Molo's breeder had been issued names/certificates for all the pups in the litter; she had two dog certificates so we got to chose which of the names was given to Molo  :) His litter were named after wines ,so we got to chose a wine we enjoyed  :lol:
[snapback]146369[/snapback]

Hi Rachel
We did that on our last litter as we had 5 black bitches and we could allow the new owners to pick the one they wanted.
This is different however as the buyer insists that they were allowed to change or even pick the name with the change of ownership.

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
Kc Pappers
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 07:23:31 PM »
The only way you could name your dog by the KC after you've bought it would be for the 'Obedience and Working Trials register', my collie Sammy is registered on this register as we compete in agility, his posh name is Splash of Colour  :) .
Cayley.

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Kc Pappers
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2005, 08:24:24 PM »
Amanda - looking at this I think the puppy has not been registered. The parents are and the registration application has been completed by the breeders with the parents details and they've now passed that on to the new owners for them to complete the registration. This does happen and is OK. The puppy won't have an affix unless the breeder has comlpeted that part and indeed the new owners can choose whatever name they want - within the KC rules.

It also means they have to pay for it :huh:

I remember doin g this many years ago for one of the Cairn Terriers my mum and dad had. She ended up never being registered as we couldn;t hink of a name that fitted in the rules :lol:  But she was a much loved pet so the reg'n didn't matter. What mattered was her parentage which was excellent.
Pam n the boys

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Kc Pappers
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 11:26:53 PM »
I don't think I understand this? In the past, it was quite possible to register litters but leave the naming of individual puppies up to the new owners but this hasn't been allowed for nearly 20 years. Naming of puppies has to be done by the breeder now - ok they can ask new owners to choose names before they send off the paperwork but the KC don't send out blank registration documents for the owners to choose a name afterwards & new owners can't normally apply to have the name changed either. If the owners of this puppy do have something to fill in with their choice of name, then perhaps it's a letter from the breeder not an actual KC form. No way would any sensible breeder send off a partially completed litter registration form to each & every new owner for them to choose their own name unless as Pam says, it's a way of getting the owners to pay for the registration - very odd indeed :unsure:

Jane
Jane

Offline AmandaA

• Site Member
Kc Pappers
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2005, 09:14:23 AM »
I don't think I understand this? In the past, it was quite possible to register litters but leave the naming of individual puppies up to the new owners but this hasn't been allowed for nearly 20 years. Naming of puppies has to be done by the breeder now - ok they can ask new owners to choose names before they send off the paperwork but the KC don't send out blank registration documents for the owners to choose a name afterwards & new owners can't normally apply to have the name changed either. If the owners of this puppy do have something to fill in with their choice of name, then perhaps it's a letter from the breeder not an actual KC form. No way would any sensible breeder send off a partially completed litter registration form to each & every new owner for them to choose their own name unless as Pam says, it's a way of getting the owners to pay for the registration - very odd indeed :unsure:

Jane
[snapback]146425[/snapback]

Hi Jane
We did try to put this across to them but to no avail.
They insist that their relatives were able to change the KC name with the change of ownership.
In our opinion, surely they should have known that these pups were registered as they gained our details from the puppy register on the KC website!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Kc Pappers
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2005, 10:09:42 AM »
We did try to put this across to them but to no avail.
They insist that their relatives were able to change the KC name with the change of ownership.
In our opinion, surely they should have known that these pups were registered as they gained our details from the puppy register on the KC website!
[snapback]146441[/snapback]
Sometimes there's no telling people :lol: I can only guess it wasn't a KC reg pup they are actually talking about - some of the alternative registries use paperwork which looks remarkably like KC paperwork even down to the colour which no doubt does confuse some ;)

Jane
Jane