Author Topic: potential Puppy's breeding - confused!  (Read 3362 times)

Offline Coco

• Site Member
Re: potential Puppy's breeding - confused!
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2006, 12:52:08 PM »
Thanks everyone for all your help. Think we'll go with the second pup, if in doubt follow your instinct I guess and after reading all your replies that's where we're heading. Can't wait to post a picture of our new little bundle soon!
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline workingcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.workingcockers.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2006, 11:25:32 PM »
sorry - just come into this a bit late!!
Difficult one without seeing the breeding of both litters but going on the info you posted I would go for the 2nd one. If you want an actual working dog then with the Whaupley breeding and the breeder having gens of actual working dogs then I think you stand a better chance of getting what you want.
Look forward to seeing pics in the near future!!

K
Kirsten Strachan
Lorne Working Cockers

sooty strikes back

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 01:55:53 PM »
I know very little about breeding dogs, but I know a bit about genetics and a bit about evolution, and basically the more different two within species animals are the better for the survival of the offspring. The more similar and closer related the more unhealthy the offspring will be.

If I was buying a puppy, then I would look for a pup that had some pedigree background, was kc reg' had all the health checks, and whose pedigree's were not overloaded with champions.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 06:34:13 PM »
The more similar and closer related the more unhealthy the offspring will be.

IMO, thats not entirely true - but irresponsible line breeding can lead to offspring which are more likely to have recessive conditions, and genetic abnormalities caused by limited genetic diversity :(

Breeders who are seeking to improve the breed (either working or show lines), do line breed, but after extensive research into the ancestory of the dog and bitch for many, many generations  :o

Phil - if like me you are a bit of a genetics anorak - you may find this link interesting - it describes how the co-efficient of inbreeding is calculated  ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2006, 10:28:37 AM »
 ::) Forgiveme \coco, this is not directly in answer to your post, and may sound like a stupid question, but as I have no knowledge of breeding at all. Could anybody explain to me how parentage is verified by the Kennel Club ? I may be cynical and do not wish to upset all the genuine breeders, but without actually witnessing a mating, how is this possible?  :huh: Is it just down to 'trust' because a person has registered their affix? :huh:

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2006, 10:55:35 AM »
::) Forgiveme \coco, this is not directly in answer to your post, and may sound like a stupid question, but as I have no knowledge of breeding at all. Could anybody explain to me how parentage is verified by the Kennel Club ? I may be cynical and do not wish to upset all the genuine breeders, but without actually witnessing a mating, how is this possible?  :huh: Is it just down to 'trust' because a person has registered their affix? :huh:

It is now possible to verify parentage by DNA profiling & I think KC Accredited Breeders are required to profile all their dogs used for breeding. The DNA profiling kits are available from the KC & the Animal Health Trust and more breeders/owners are now using them, not just Accredited Breeders. Microchip numbers are also now recorded on litter registrations (where available).You are right that where there are no DNA profiles, then there is a certain element of trust needed and no doubt there have been cases where dogs have been registered with incorrect pedigree details. However where there is proof that this has happened (DNA evidence needed), the KC come down very hard on offenders (there was one such case last year). The KC system is not perfect but it's the best we have available at the moment and far superior to any other registration service provided by other commercial enterprises.

Jane
Jane

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2006, 06:37:34 PM »
 :DThanks for that information Jane,  ;)
Jann ;)