Author Topic: breeding  (Read 1411 times)

Offline lucieb

• Site Member
  • megan
breeding
« on: January 16, 2007, 03:04:19 PM »
hi, im pretty new to all this, as my meg is only 10 months old, but iv been thinking  that when she is old enough if possible i would like to breed from her, providing this is possible.  i have recently got a couple of books that i am reading up on but i would just like any information on what the first thing would be to do, espescially regarding the eye testing.
i havent had her eyes tested, how do i go about doing this, what other tests would she require and what sort of age does she have to be to do these tests.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: breeding
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 03:15:05 PM »
Eyes can be tested from 12 months old but Optigen gene testing for PRA can be done at any age - this will tell you whether your girl is a carrier of the disease whereas a clinical eye test can only tell you if there is a problem at that particular moment in time. Hip scoring can be done from 12 months old. Your normal vet can usually do hip scoring but eye testing must be done by a veterinary opthalmologist. You'll find details of the eye testing and hip scoring schemes HERE. If you are interested in Optigen testing your bitch, you need to get your vet to take a blood sample and then send that sample off to Optigen in the US. Full details can be found on the Optigen website

It's good that you're asking questions so early but do be aware that breeding is a heavy responsibility and can cause a great deal of heartache as well as joy if (and it is only if) all goes well. Here are two websites which might help you in your research and give you pause for thought:

Virtual Breeding

Just One Litter

Jane

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 03:23:21 PM »
I think before you breed from your bitch the most important thing to do is to ask yourself why you are doing it. If it's just because she's a sweet dog and you think some puppies from her would be nice then this is not a good idea. There are thousands upon thousands of unwanted dogs and puppies out there because of people breeding like this and wanting 'just one litter' from their pet dog. People think that their 'one litter' will not contribute to this but it really does.

On the other hand if she is a proven show or working dog and has exceptional qualities which could really improve the cocker spaniel breed then you might find that there would be some demand both from stud dog owners to let their dogs mate with her and from owners to have one of her puppies.

As well as Opigen eye testing and all other health checks you will have to undertake extensive research to find the best stud dog to put her to and then of course there is pregnancy care for the bitch, whelping which can be a stressful and dangerous experience (a lady who lives near me thought it would be nice to breed her working cocker bitch 'just the once'. The dog ended up being rushed to the vets because a pup got stuck, had to have an emergency cesarean and was lucky to live. The puppy died.) and then of couse there are the weeks of sleepless nights with the puppies as well as finding good forever homes for them.

Of course everyone has to start somewhere and if you are serious about showing and breeding your dog then well done for thinking about the necessary health checks etc. to carry out but if not then it really is best left to the experts.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 03:24:48 PM »
I agree with everythink Nicola has said.

Offline Terri Carpenter

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 05:12:40 PM »
I have only bred from Holly once and would never do it again.

My advice is leave it to the professionals, it's very very hard work, mentally and physically exhausting, expensive, nerve racking when you are trying to place them in good homes and you have to be prepared to take back puppies (or adults) if things go wrong as it did with one of mine.

Sorry to sound so negative but I'm just going on experience

Offline lucieb

• Site Member
  • megan
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 01:32:59 PM »
thanks for all the advice, its something i wouldnt take to doing lightly and something i have just been thinking about for the future. it is something i will think long and hard about and wont be rushing into it. but its nice to get honest advice. thankyou

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 01:37:54 PM »
My oh would like to breed Loki when he is older but I have said no, for all the above reasons I guess I am just too much of a realist  :shades:

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 02:22:21 PM »
with so many in rescue I'd rather give a home to another dog than create another litter that might add to the problem.

If your going to breed you should really qualify your dog in something either working or showing dependant upon her lines to show that she is worth breeding from.  That is also an investment but alot of fun to do and will give you an idea of what else is out there. 

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 11:29:21 PM »
I would also ask Meg's breeder as well for advice

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!