Author Topic: Colour combinations  (Read 1778 times)

Offline Aggie

• Site Member
Colour combinations
« on: March 04, 2007, 05:16:28 PM »
My sister has decided to get a cocker spaniel.

We've seen an advert for a blue roan mated with a black - is this normal?

She wants any colour but we've started looking.

Thanks

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Colour combinations
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 05:21:38 PM »
I suppose it depends why the mating has been done - experienced breeders might do this for a particular reason...... ;)

Take a look here for advice on how to find a reputable breeder rather than puppy farm or Back Yard Breeder  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline BabyBear

• Site Member
  • Who's a pretty girl
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 10:12:28 AM »
We were always under the impression that you normaly mated part colours with part colours and solids with solids.

Hope this helps
Al, Cath, And not forgetting Skye xxx ;)

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 11:19:03 AM »
Doesn't it depend on if they are show cockers or workers?  :huh:
I thought working cocker breeders don't breed by colour, whereas show cocker breeders do.  :-\ 

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 11:30:36 AM »
I've been wondering why it's usually particolour to particolour and solid to solid... :huh: Is it just to avoid mismarked solids?

Jarvis' mum was a liver roan, and his dad a solid gold. :-\
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 02:04:42 PM »
I've been wondering why it's usually particolour to particolour and solid to solid... :huh: Is it just to avoid mismarked solids?

Jarvis' mum was a liver roan, and his dad a solid gold. :-\

There are 16 standard colours, why breed non standard colours when it's hard enough to breed quality in some of the standard colours  :-\. Also a dog may be the best example of a breed physically but if it's the wrong colour it may not even be placed.   
Cayley.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 04:19:40 PM »
Doesn't it depend on if they are show cockers or workers?  :huh:
I thought working cocker breeders don't breed by colour, whereas show cocker breeders do.  :-\ 

That is very true. The breeders of working cockers don't factor in colour at all, where the show breeders generally stick to partis or solids. Sometimes a breeder will cross colour lines for a particular reason, it's usually part of a planned program and the breeder has the next 2 generations mapped out. And again, hopefully as many generations as possible will have had the health testing done.

Or the mating could have been done by a backyard breeder who just happened to have a solid and a parti on hand... :-\
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 07:31:07 PM »
the litter ayla came from had black and blue roan puppies in it but both sire and dam were black dogs.

Offline Aggie

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 09:09:58 PM »
Thanks for replies

This is the advert

beautiful cocker spaniel puppies Mum is blue roan , Dad is black (**********)The puppies will be PPRC registered and come with papers. They will be raised in a loving home with children and will be looking to move on to a home just as loving.I am hoping to have the pups paper trained before they go to there new homes.

What does PPRC mean?

Just in case you are worried we are only looking and trying to become more knowledge.

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 09:18:21 PM »
I haven't heard of PPRC - but it's not Kennel Club Registration and is likely to be along similar lines to the Pet Lovers reg'n. The parent dogs are quite likely not be KC registered so cannot be health checked to KC standards etc.

You say you've seen these puppies advertised. It's rare that reputable breeders need to advertise as their puppies are usually booked up well in advance.

It's not something I would touch with a bargepole.

Please have a good look through the finding a puppy threads and our FAQs on finding a reputable breeder. If you are content that this breeder meets the qualities CoL supports then go ahead. If not then please stop and think first ;) a puppy is a serious commitment and it's so easy to go diving in ending up with a lot of problems..
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 09:19:19 PM »
I would be very wary of any litters registered with any organisation but the KC. Whilst KC registration isn't a guarantee that a breeder is reputable, no reputable breeder would use any other registration company. These other companies (there are about 3 or 4) just issue pretty certificates on the basis of info supplied by the breeder - you could register mongrels as Cocker Spaniels if you wanted to >:( A quote from this particular company's website shows you the type of breeder they appeal to :-

Competitive Registration Fees means more profit for you the breeder

Say no more really ;)
Jane

Offline Aggie

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 09:33:05 PM »
Thanks will keep looking and keep asking questions!