Author Topic: Breeding and color  (Read 6005 times)

Offline Alpaklukka

• www.123.is/anja
Breeding and color
« on: March 05, 2008, 01:06:08 PM »
I've been thinking about which colors is ok to breed together, are there any rules?  I've seen that many breeders mix solids with particolors, do they risk getting puppies that are of color which is not recognised by FCI?
If I were to breed a black dog to our blue roan bitch, how would the ratio be in regards to color?

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
Re: Breeding and color
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 01:44:31 PM »
depends on whats behind both dogs.  My bitch comes from a black and blue roan litter but both dogs were black.

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 02:00:08 PM »
From my limited knowledge every colour except solid black is reccessive so if the black doesn't carry the particolour gene but both dogs carried the 'red' gene then the pups could be solid black or red I think, there's also the potential for all the pups to be mismarked. In the UK the gene pool is big enough to allow for just solid to solid and parti to parti matings so parti to solid shouldn't be done unless for a very particular reason  :blink:.
Cayley.

Offline Alpaklukka

• www.123.is/anja
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 02:34:40 PM »
Thank you for your answers :D

Offline kalem

• Limited Member
  • Me and my Gal xx
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 07:37:54 PM »
Hiya, my Lucy is a Blue Roan, The Stud dog was a Lemon Roan, but Lucys mum was black and her Dad Blue Roan, and Lucy had Black and White puppies, which now they are 19 weeks old the white has changed to Roan, So i think because Lucy's Mum was black that took preference, They were beautiful pups well still are  :blink:

"My World is Orange" with a few blonde highlights
To the world my Cocker is just a dog, to me my Cocker is the World

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 08:30:29 PM »
If Lucy's Mum had carried the lemon/gold gene, she could have produced lemon roan pups despite being black herself - the fact she didn't shows she probably doesn't carry that gene.
Jane

Offline kalem

• Limited Member
  • Me and my Gal xx
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 09:06:29 PM »
Not too up on these different colours, because i would of loved Lucy to have had lemon roans i just love that colouring, thats why i mated her with a Lemon Roan, (goes to show what i know eh!!! :lol2:), wish i had joined here before, would it of made any difference if i had mated her with any other stud or would she still of had black/white Lucys grandmother on her mums side was BlueRoan . Thanks for info  :blink:

"My World is Orange" with a few blonde highlights
To the world my Cocker is just a dog, to me my Cocker is the World

Offline Alpaklukka

• www.123.is/anja
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 11:34:07 PM »
Anja comes from blue roan lines, both her mom and dad are blue roan from blue roan parents.  There are two studs which I can choose from, one is blue roan from blue roan lines, no secret there.
The other one is Black, his mom is black/tan and his dad is red(from two black parents), do you think then that all the puppies would be blue roan or black?  I'm really lost here :005:
The thing is, both studs have a lot of potential, but the black one when he was only 9 months old, was chosen Best In Show at Hallands Kennelklubb in Halmstad.
I'm really ecxited about the black stud, and I have to admit that I find the color possibilities intriguing :005:

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 08:18:55 AM »
If you use the black stud, the puppies will mostly be black, maybe red and black and tan, if your bitch carries the gene for orange and/or tan.

You won't get any particolors.

Just had to add, winning best in show does not necessarily make a dog an excellent stud  ;)..
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 08:28:34 AM »
These color things are sometimes quite funny. I just had two litters:

in the other blueroan dad(from blueroan parents) x blueroan mum(from liverroan dad and orange&white mum) mating I got 4 black&whites and 2 blueroan.

and the other orangeroan dad(from blueroan parents) x black&white mum(from blueroan dad and orange&white mum) mating I got 1 blueroan and 4 orangeroan.

I understand the latter, roan dominates over open markings, it's very simple. But how on earth did I manage to get mostly black and white out of a blueroan+blueroan(and these are dark blues) mating  :005: :005:?

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 09:42:38 AM »
I understand the latter, roan is dominates over open markings, it's very simple. But how on earth did I manage to get mostly black and white out of a blueroan+blueroan(and these are dark blues) mating  :005: :005:?

The luck of the genetics draw :005: Both the dark blues obviously carry the gene for "and white" so statistically you could expect 25% of the litter to be black and white but statistics only apply over very large numbers of puppies so in any one litter, you could get more "and whites" than you expect but the next time, you could get none at all :D
Jane

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 09:50:49 AM »
^ excactly, I was expecting only one or two to be black and white  :D. I don't complain though, lovely puppies what ever the color is.

Offline Alpaklukka

• www.123.is/anja
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 11:32:13 AM »
 :005: Funny how sometimes things turn out.

The color I would most want to have is blue roan & tan, I think it's beautiful :lol:

I'm going to get to know both stud dogs and see which one I like better :)  I've got lots of time anyway, were not thinking about breeding anytime soon, maybe in a year or two if she is fit to breed from (she will be tested for PRA this summer which is only possible in the summer here, as well as taking a temperament test).  There are not many English Cocker's in Iceland and as I say, only 2 stud dogs I can choose from who are not related to our Anja, one of them is in quarantine now and the other one in Denmark and will be coming to quarantine in may.