Author Topic: Optigen Results...Still waiting  (Read 2324 times)

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
Optigen Results...Still waiting
« on: November 22, 2007, 02:36:35 PM »
We went to a Clinic to have some blood drawn for the Optigen & FN we was told it wouldn't take longer than 2 weeks we have our FN results back (All Clear  :shades:   :blink: ) but its now gone over 2 weeks and we are still waiting for the Optigen results they cant have got lost in the post because we have asked them to let us know by email  or does it take longer because we are having the 2 test's done:-\ . Should we get in touch with anybody or give it a couple more days?
Its such a worry waiting for these results  :005: ive been checking our emails every hour & every day  ph34r  ::)

Offline Bryning

• Site Member
    • Bryning Border Collies and Working Cockers
Re: Optigen Results...Still waiting
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 04:03:28 PM »
OptiGen usually e-mail to confirm they have received your samples.  Did you pay by credit card online?  If the payment has gone through then they will have completed the tests.  My last lot arrived with them on the 1st Nov and my results arrived on the 7th Nov.  Might be worth e-mailing them and chasing them up.  I know they were having problems with their e-mail system earlier in the year.
Cheers
Nat, Teal and Drake x
www.bryningbordercollies.com

"The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Offline cupcakebarb

• Site Member
  • Oscar my baby boy n Bramble my baby girl
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 07:10:21 PM »
 :huh:  Dont wanna sound daft but what is optigen and pn??

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 09:01:02 PM »
:huh:  Dont wanna sound daft but what is optigen and pn??

Optigen is the name of a Genetic Test available to determine whether a dog carries one (or two) copies of the gene that is linked to PROGRESSIVE RETINAL ATROPHY, which is an inherited condition that cockers and some other breeds can suffer from  ;)

FN is FAMILIAL NEPHRITIS, another inherited condition that affects the kidneys, and there is a test for the gene that causes this too  ;)

These tests are the ones referred to as being important when you are selecting a breeder; if the sire and dam are tested, then breeders can make sure that they don't inadvertently breed puppies that could be affected by either of these conditions; hopefully, if all puppies bred are from tested parents, then these diseases can be wiped out from the gene pool completely  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 09:27:55 PM »
My bloods were drawn by my vet on a Monday, delivered Fedex Tuesday with a receipt from Optigen to say they had arrived and got my results on the Friday (same week) certificates came through on the Monday, so a week in total.

If you e-mail Becky at Optigen she's very good, she'll let you know if the bloods have arrived and when you're likely to get your results.

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 09:39:34 PM »
PRA can leave your dog blind, And FN is a nasty kidney disease which kills the dog usually before it is 2 years old. So really anyone responsibly breeding from their dogs should have the tests done on the sire and dam of any would be puppies. We have had a very sad case of FN on here, where a poor COL member lost her beautiful Chocky Roan boy. It upset all of us. I know of some others that have also lost their pups to this disease, it is heartbreaking.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 07:55:10 AM »
I know someone else who has had their FN results bot not the PRA results yet so they are probably not lost in the post.

I find the results can take a little longer when sent as part of a clinic, more DNA to test :blink:
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 07:25:28 PM »
I got my results veery quickly as the others have said its worth checking with them asap in case there is a small problem that can be easily resolved.  Was your email address clear???  I didn't get my certificate through the post as quickly but the email did come within a couple of weeks.

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 07:42:05 PM »
Think we will leave it till Monday and take it from there

I got my results veery quickly as the others have said its worth checking with them asap in case there is a small problem that can be easily resolved.  Was your email address clear???  I didn't get my certificate through the post as quickly but the email did come within a couple of weeks.

Yes the email address was clear they have already emailed us (2weeks ago) to say it would take no longer than 2 weeks

Offline cockahoot

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 07:15:44 PM »
I've just had Izzy PRA tested but don't remember having the option on the form for FN, should I have completed two forms?  :huh:

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 07:50:50 PM »
Sarah

We have been waiting for our Optigen results too, it has taken 3 weeks to get the results instead of the normal two, I emailled them on friday, (as I could not stand the suspense any longer)  apparently their automatic emai reporting system is down, they did however scan my result in and sent them via a PDF file to me, (I spoke very very nicly to them) the other option was to fax them too me but I do not have a fax.

Suggest you email them tomorrow.

Wendy
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 08:01:59 PM »
Opps i should of posted we had our results back in December.I posted the topic in 07  :005:

But we also had another dog tested recently and they have taken there time with this one,To cut a long story short they emailed us aswell and told us there automatic system was down.We got our results on Thursday.