Author Topic: Am I doing the right thing  (Read 2910 times)

Offline emms

• Site Member
Re: Am I doing the right thing
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 02:06:28 PM »
I do agility with my girls (both have been spayed) and they have weeks where everything else is far more interesting than me ph34r

Offline Rosie

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 03:03:44 PM »
Ironically (head above parapet) we have an entire male doing agility who sniffs the least of my three show cockers.  Dylan has never (touch wood) gone off on a scent however Charlie (castrated dead on 6 months) is the most sniffy distracted dog I know although not so much bitches but burgers and rabbit poo!!!!!

It is still a personal choice and castration may help but re the wandering off I would work on really short 2-3 jumps and a big reward to start building up concentration and focus again - lots of straight lines and straight forward work can sometimes work wonders if there is a big reward at the end!!  BUT this is only my opinion and there are many a lot more experienced than me!!

Rosie & 4 naughty cockers plus one!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 06:36:57 PM »
I've never seen an agility dog go off after the girls, but there are no in-season bitches allowed at training or demos  ;) I didn't realise they were allowed on shoots - what a nightmare  ph34r

I have seen loads of (mainly ABC) agility dogs, including mine  ::), bog-off halfway around the course to sniff at poo (from various species), say hi to other dogs and/or people, find the food stands or run willy-nilly across the course having the time of their life  :lol2:

imo and experience, neutering will make not one jot of difference to this - patience, time and loads of enthusiasm is the most reliable way of keeping your dogs focus in any discipline  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 07:41:39 PM »
I agree that it would be cruel to regularly expose any dog to any situation that cause them to be stressed or anxious.

I'm sure that anyone with experience of a wide range of dogs would agree that not all entire males are a mass of uncontrollable hormones, though   :-\

I (unsurprisingly, as I own an entire dog) do not agree that it is cruel to leave a dog entire, it depends on the dog and their reactions to varying circumstances. The medical benefits of castration are not yet established and there is some evidence which suggests that it may actually increase the risk of some diseases  :-\

agree unsurprisingly 100 percent.  I find the assumption that by keeping my dog entire that it is cruel is a little insulting.  Owners of entire dogs that I know go to lengths to ensure that our dogs are not in contact with in-season bitches to avoid any stress to the dog, and 99 percent of the time I can happily mix my dog with any other dog. 

Also Rosie and Cob-web have said it depends on the individual dog - not every entire dog shows interest as Rosie has described above.

Most of the dogs on the shoots I go on are entire, and hand on heart I've never seen any problems as Dunbarney has described  :huh:  even with stud dogs.   Some bitches definitely do smell irresistable in or out of season, and in this case I would strongly consider spaying the bitch.

As for OP, it's an entirely personal decision based on your own research and requirements of your dog.  Although I don't agree that only FT CH's should be breeding (popular sire syndrome comes to mind) I do agree that a dog should be a proven worker amongst other variables (ie health testing) before even considering breeding.

Not every dog that sires a litter becomes a sex pest, but a lot do - and I would seriously consider this scenario if you do consider using him as a stud.  And neutering is definitely not a cure-all for any behavioural issues.

helen & jarvis x

Cazzie

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 09:28:28 PM »
I've never seen an agility dog go off after the girls, but there are no in-season bitches allowed at training or demos  ;) I didn't realise they were allowed on shoots - what a nightmare  ph34r

Didnt you, well your right they dont  :lol2:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 10:19:14 PM »

OK, I'm officially confused now  ph34r  :lol2:  :huh:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Cazzie

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 10:23:15 PM »

OK, I'm officially confused now  ph34r  :lol2:  :huh:

Ill let you work it out, you know loads more than me  ;)

Offline djangonut

• Limited Member
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 09:11:45 AM »
I work an entire stud dog on shoots,  but he has to be managed carefully.  During drives when he is beating and he has pheasant up his nose he is fine and ignores the other dogs.  When he is retrieving at the end of the drive he is great - he has a job to do.  But in between drives when some dogs and bitches are just left to mooch around the game cart while their owners partake of coffee (or something stronger),  I make sure that he is back in the vehicle or at least on a lead, because he can be a b....r!

John

Cazzie

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 09:16:49 AM »
But in between drives when some dogs and bitches are just left to mooch around the game cart while their owners partake of coffee (or something stronger),  I make sure that he is back in the vehicle or at least on a lead, because he can be a b....r!

John

I wish they were all like you John  :shades: I shut Belle in my Van at these times for her own and my sanity  :005: She is very appealing to "Some dogs" even though she has been spayed for 4 years  :D