Author Topic: would it be possible to get more info on Marley?  (Read 3637 times)

Offline amanda.seal

• Marley Moo
Re: would it be possible to get more info on Marley?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 11:31:18 PM »
Thanks everyone i'll let you know if they reply to me. :D

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 12:19:26 AM »
Yeah, defo try and get in touch.. I hounded the breeder and previous owner for any details I could get on my rehome and it was well worth it - they have both been extremely helpful and I've also now got pics of her parents details about their temperaments etc and I know I can always get in touch if I have any queries in the future too.

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

Hannah xx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline PennyB

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »
Personally I wouldn't be trying to contact previous owners as there's often a reason why rescue centres don't want new owners to do this
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 12:08:14 PM »
Personally I wouldn't be trying to contact previous owners as there's often a reason why rescue centres don't want new owners to do this

Just to clarify, I did rehome my dog privately - which is why I had access to the owner. But I made contact with my dogs breeder independently and would do it again. Our situation worked extremely well and helped me understand my dog a lot. I am aware that private rehomes can be problematic also though so I guess we (including her original owner) were all very lucky to find each other.

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Offline PennyB

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 12:15:10 PM »
I was talking about in the rescue situation not the free ads --- we will always allow 3rd party contact, ie if old owner wants to know how their old dog is getting on then they go through the rescue who sends pictures and info on that way. It can sometimes cause all sorts of problems otherwise (it has been known for old owner to pester new owner to get the dog back!). Some council pounds won't even rehome some dogs in the area they found them in
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2008, 12:25:50 PM »
I was talking about in the rescue situation not the free ads --- we will always allow 3rd party contact, ie if old owner wants to know how their old dog is getting on then they go through the rescue who sends pictures and info on that way. It can sometimes cause all sorts of problems otherwise (it has been known for old owner to pester new owner to get the dog back!). Some council pounds won't even rehome some dogs in the area they found them in

Yeah I was warned (by Weimaraner rescue) about the possibility of the owner wanting the dog back if I did it privately too. I spent a lot of time talking to her and visiting before I agreed to take the dog to try and understand the motivation behind it all as well as poss but I was aware it could have gone wrong and decided on balance it was a risk I could take. She made it very clear she didn't want any money for her and would only let her go to a home she felt was right for the dog - so she visited me too. She also agreed to take the dog back if after an agreed time I didn't feel it was working out as she genuinely wanted the best for Norms.. but I know I was extremely lucky there!

Do rescues advise against contacting the breeders also if so what are the reasons behind that?

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Offline PennyB

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2008, 12:32:32 PM »

Yeah I was warned (by Weimaraner rescue) about the possibility of the owner wanting the dog back if I did it privately too. I spent a lot of time talking to her and visiting before I agreed to take the dog to try and understand the motivation behind it all as well as poss but I was aware it could have gone wrong and decided on balance it was a risk I could take. She made it very clear she didn't want any money for her and would only let her go to a home she felt was right for the dog - so she visited me too. She also agreed to take the dog back if after an agreed time I didn't feel it was working out as she genuinely wanted the best for Norms.. but I know I was extremely lucky there!

Do rescues advise against contacting the breeders also if so what are the reasons behind that?

Hannah x

we never give the details out --- at the end of the day the reason why some of those dogs are in rescue is because of irresponsible breeders so they may be at issue there. Whether people agree with that or not I don't think some rescues care (lets face it a responsible breeder should take thier dogs back  but not all will and leave the rescue centres to mop up)
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2008, 12:37:28 PM »
Guess every situation is different, I'd have had a lot more trouble with Norms if I hadn't been able to talk to the previous owner or breeder but I can understand why it generally isn't recommended by rescues.

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Offline PennyB

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2008, 12:50:51 PM »
Guess every situation is different, I'd have had a lot more trouble with Norms if I hadn't been able to talk to the previous owner or breeder but I can understand why it generally isn't recommended by rescues.

Hannah x

also even when we get dogs in from owners they will often not tell the truth or are economical with it so while it can be useful to know we have to use our experience to deal with the dog (sometimes the dog can be far better than owners have suggested and other times far worse either in temperament or health)
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline amanda.seal

• Marley Moo
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 08:56:20 PM »
I've decided not to get in touch with them, I love Marley where-ever he came from  :luv: It would be nice to know more about him but its not the be all and end all :-\

Offline Roslyn McConnell

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2008, 01:18:20 PM »
Awwwwww, I guess the history he will make with you is more important than that of his pervious life......which he will prob want to forget anyways!!

Good luck with Marley.....he is beeeeeeautiful!  :luv: