Author Topic: Age of stud dog  (Read 1540 times)

Offline sammye

• Site Member
Age of stud dog
« on: August 26, 2008, 09:19:42 PM »
I discovered today that the brother to my bitch is being used for stud, he has already sired one litter but is only 14 months old himself, this seems very young to me, am  i right! :o

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: Age of stud dog
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 09:28:02 PM »
I have no idea on breeding - but I would have thought 14 months old was too young

I'm sure someone with experience in breeding will be along soon  :D

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 08:06:40 AM »
As long as all the relevent health tests have been carried out then I think 14 months is about right...that's about the age my boys have been used for the first time.
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 09:48:42 AM »
Eye testing & hip scoring can be done from 12 months old & DNA tests can be done at any age so if all the tests have been done, then 14 months is not necessarily too young but it does depend on the individual dog as some are still very immature at 14 months. I'd be more interested in knowing why he's being used at stud, unless he's proving himself in the show ring (I'm assuming he's show type) or has some other qualities that could benefit the breed. Is this a boy you bred Sammy?
Jane

Offline *AmandaB*

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 03:39:36 PM »
As the owner of three girls, I personally wouldn't use a dog as young as 14 months, only because you don't know what he is going to produce until they have seen other litters born. It would have to be something really special for me to want to use him, especially as there are proven, health tested, older boys out there. It is only a personal opinion.

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 04:49:28 PM »
I think it really depends on who owns the stud dog and how much you know/trust them and know about their lines  :D  Most breeders i think would want to prove the dog themselves on their own bitches first. if thats possible...
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 09:16:16 PM »
Overheard a discussion (not between Cocker owners!) about a stud dog not performing, but the stud dog owner's 5 month old pup "doing" it instead.  Apparently there was a 25 minute tie, and they are assuming it worked.    Methinks the owner of the bitch will not be happy if it actually worked as the 5 month pup is not a pedigree - but the stud dog was.
I wonder what they were doing taking along a male puppy anyway to such a meeting?  >:D >:D
Still, ours not to reason why etc
Surely it won't work at 5 months???
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 10:31:41 PM »
Surely it won't work at 5 months???

I hope not but it's not unheard of - some males are fertile at a very early age.
Jane