Author Topic: English/American Cocker crosses  (Read 814 times)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
English/American Cocker crosses
« on: October 05, 2008, 08:13:46 PM »
I saw a couple last weekend with two orange and white Cockers, so William and I went and said hello. I asked them about the breeding of their two and was told that they were English/American Cocker crosses. I'm not sure if they were from the same litter or from repeat matings, but I know that at least one of them was 7 years old.

One looked very much like an English Cocker, but with a slightly rounded head. The other had the rounded head and short muzzle of an American. Both were very attractive looking, very friendly and looked to be fit and healthy.

The owners said that the breeder, who is someone I know slightly, had bred a litter from one of her English Cockers and, sadly, all the puppies had died from FN. That must have been at least 8 years ago, given the age of these dogs, so I think well before FN could be tested for. The breeder then decided to put her English Cocker bitch to an American Cocker dog, as FN wouldn't be a problem.

My knowledge of genetics is minimal, but I know that both breeds have PRA. From my knowledge of the breeder I expect that both parents would have held clear eye certificates, which was the best check that could have been done then. But, given that both breeds have a common ancestry, would there be any risk of other problems emerging?

I don't know if the breeder was using common sense or taking a big risk? I haven't come across any other English/American crosses, so I don't know if this is a fairly common thing or not.

Can anyone enlighten me please?

Offline Mazame

• Site Member
    • ECS de Mazamé
Re: English/American Cocker crosses
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 10:54:30 PM »
Optigen released a prcd-PRA test for cockapoos :o So as both American and English cockers spaniels can be affected by prcd-PRA, I think it might happen.
Cassandre, Julie, Gala, Filibert and Pupuce.