Author Topic: lost our first puppy  (Read 1690 times)

Offline alandkell

• Limited Member
lost our first puppy
« on: October 07, 2008, 10:13:36 PM »
... the poor little mite was born on monday morning at 3.20 am. unfortunately after much trying to help him he was found dead this morning. we have read about puppy fading syndrome but i just dont think he was ready for the world as he was so weak he couldnt even suckle. i feel a little sick now as i couldnt help him and guilt is setting in because all my efforts were in vain. has anyone else experienced the same problem? :huh: :huh: :'( :'( :'(

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
Re: lost our first puppy
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 10:17:49 PM »
I have no experience but wanted to give you a cyber hug  :'( I am sure you did everything you could and the fact you are cut up about it shows you really cared.
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Offline alandkell

• Limited Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 10:22:09 PM »
thanks for that it feels like being achild again finding the baby bird that fell out of its nest and i tried to save it but it died in my hands. at that age i just wante to save the world1 :embarassed: :'(

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 09:23:55 AM »
Mother nature can be cruel, some pups even those who get to full term are not destined for our world.
You can only do your best , I've seen both sides those who look like they've no hope who pull through and those who look like they'll thrive and die.
I'm so sorry.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

jarbaha

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 10:13:23 AM »
hi alandkell
i have never lost a puppy, through fading puppy syndrome, i've had to have one put to sleep in less than 24 hours, due to having a post cleft palette, and seen that that puppy never fed from mum, and tried hand feeding ect,unfortunatley the puppy was to weak , and so small, that that was the kindess thing to do was to have the little puppy pts, my vet came to my home, and that broke my heart.( thats one of the first things i always check for now)
i've also lost two puppies through a c/section, but choose to have mum spayed at the same time, so never put her through that again.
nature does have a nasty sting in its tail, but i'm sure you did everything in your power to help that little puppy, nature can be so cruel.
people don't see the heartache we sometimes have to endure for anothers gain.
my heart goes out to you  :'(.
i'm so sorry
love terri
x

Offline louisedi

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 08:01:45 PM »
My bitch welped this summer, producing a single pup, she was 12days old when I found her dead in the whelping box.

Im sure my bitch knew ther was somthing wrong with her, as she didnt want to spend time in there with her,
When her mother whelped her she wouldnt leave the pups, but hanna would have to be put in the box to feed the pup.

This realy broke my heart as i wanted this pup so much, I hope to try to mate her again nxt yr.

I will get her herpes blood tested before, I mate her nxt time.
But as my father says where you get live stock you get dead stock.

But this doesnt make up for your lose, when you have done everything right, eye tested, researched the stud dogs pedagree etc

Louise & harbethol gang

Offline alandkell

• Limited Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 08:30:02 PM »
thankyou all for your kind support i have been swapping the puppy to the back teats as advised and he seems to be making some progress he was a little weak this morning but has picked up considerably this evening and is very hungry. we are going to continue every 2 hours until we feel the puppy can fend for itself as we noticed that every time he latched on he was pushed away by the bigger pups so good call thanks. we will keep you informed of his progress and thanx again for your responses! :angel: :angel:

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 12:58:03 PM »
If he's latched on properly you shouldn't hear much noise (no sloppy chops) and his tail will be stuck straight out then droops down at the end. You also can't unlatch him unless you break the seal. If milk flow is good you should also see alittle of that as he's sucking at the side of his mouth.

Good luck.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline cadbury

• Site Member
  • My wonderful Family oh and me
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 10:23:36 AM »
Hope everything goes well with the rest of the litter :luv: :luv: :luv: :luv: I know Karen Bluegirl had a bad experience with one litter of pups and this last one was not easy going so I am sure if you are stuck she would give you some advice :shades: :shades: and I think what ever age or size of an animal we being like we are cockerfolk :005: we will always feel guilty even though we know it was possibly for the best that it died its a common gene that is built into the special few IE: US its called compasion or cockerpassion :luv: :luv:
Hi from ANN,Bailey, Minstrel and Merlin the cat.
My animals are the light through dark days
Update.... Bailey died yesterday age 14 .. Minstrel 8yrs ago age 17
Merlin 10 yrs ago age 17
I have now Ellaween age 7 and Willow age 2 both working type cockers Ella black and Tan and Willow choc n Tan.