Author Topic: my bitch gave me a present?  (Read 1948 times)

Offline alandkell

• Limited Member
my bitch gave me a present?
« on: October 08, 2008, 10:55:21 PM »
now to me this is strange behaviour and a little scary as the other day one of her pups died. she just picked the runt up and gave it to my partner why would she do this does she think it needs help he looks ok if a little skinny but there again he is the runt please answer with some urgency please as we are now scared we might lose another on although he is feeding. :-\ :-\

Offline oswaldann

• Site Member
Re: my bitch gave me a present?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 11:19:08 PM »
You have to make sure they are all feeding ,don't leave it to chance,have you checked for cleft palate? if you are worried take them to the vet.
Ann

Offline KarenB

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 11:30:42 PM »
When Rosie had her litter I slept along side her for the first 2 weeks, I made sure that on the hour every pup was latched on and feeding well, this ritual carried on through the day, and yet we still lost a puppy, and a secound puppy had to be fed hourly as he was failing. When the pup died Rosie did not appear to be distressed in any way although it had I think been pushed to the side of the whelping box.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 08:55:26 AM »
It may be that she is a young mother who doesn't know what to do. If you are unsure take mum and pups to the vets. She should have been checked already the day after whelping to make sure she is ok. Every pup should be latching on, you should be rotating the bigger ones with the smaller ones on the back teats in particular to ensure they get enough best milk. They should be weighed daily and a record made of their weight gain. They should be examined by you daily too just to make sure their tummies are ok where the cord dropped off. They should feel plump and dry in your hand and after each fed they should fall asleep in a pile. You should have a heat lamp or heat pad in the box so that pups can huddle together on it but mum can move away from it if she is too warm. Check mums teats have milk coming out of them too and that she her teats are all soft and pink rather than hard and red, as this needs treatment too.
Pups need a lot of attention as mothers can be clumsy or disinterested and you need to ensure you have a plan in operation to give them the best start in life.
As others have said Breeders will sleep on the floor next to their dam and pupos during the night to ensure the feeds are maintained. I spent the first week on the kitchen floor next to mine and then got up 2 hly in the night for the next 2 weeks until they were alittle stronger but it was 4 weeks before I started to sleep through. With my most recent litter which was a nightmare I moved into a spare room with them and slept with them for 6 weeks solid as I was having so many problems.

Young pups can go down hill very quickly and so I'll say again there is no time for error as pups will die, if you feel uneasy go straight to your vets for a check up.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 11:48:17 AM »
You said you got your girls from a farm when they were already a bit older, has the bitch had a litter before then or is this her first?
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline cadbury

• Site Member
  • My wonderful Family oh and me
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 10:31:40 AM »
Yes I agree with all Karen said  :shades:I still have all the weight charts from my pups and times they were born  it helps you to help your bitch if you have an hands on experiance with the litter as checking them regularly you can easy see when things go wrong as already been said all bitches are not good mums and need you to b there for constant support good luck with the rest of the litter and do take them to the vets to get them all checked out to put your mind at rest :luv:
Hi from ANN,Bailey, Minstrel and Merlin the cat.
My animals are the light through dark days
Update.... Bailey died yesterday age 14 .. Minstrel 8yrs ago age 17
Merlin 10 yrs ago age 17
I have now Ellaween age 7 and Willow age 2 both working type cockers Ella black and Tan and Willow choc n Tan.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 01:18:35 PM »
You said you got your girls from a farm when they were already a bit older, has the bitch had a litter before then or is this her first?

I'd also like to know this, you ask for help but don't reply to questions.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 03:07:17 PM »
They should be weighed daily and a record made of their weight gain.

Out of interest Karen, would this be until they are 8 weeks old or just whilst they are feeding from mum?

Offline alandkell

• Limited Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 03:27:33 PM »

I'd also like to know this, you ask for help but don't reply to questions.

sorry the answer is no its her first and all puppies are doin well thanx. didnt mean to nseem rude but have been so busy ....as you can imagine myself and partner are very tired the vet is happy with them and us, just needed some extra help from us and of course your lots advice too so thanks again will update you when possible!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 03:45:18 PM »
As things are going well now, I'll close this thread.
Jane