Author Topic: Sable  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Alpaklukka

• www.123.is/anja
Sable
« on: January 27, 2009, 06:33:33 PM »
Hello

I've been wondering about the sable color.  Do sable dogs do any worse in shows?  Are all sable colors (roan sable ect.) excepted by FCI?
I find sable to be a very beautiful color, but there are no sable dogs in Iceland where I live, so if I would want to get one, I would have to import, and that is not cheap.  So if there are some "difficulties" with the color, I would get a dog in other color.

Offline Mazame

• Site Member
    • ECS de Mazamé
Re: Sable
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 11:57:20 AM »
I think all sabe dogs are accepted by the FCI.

I don't know how it works in every country but I haven't often seen Champion sable dogs, they are usually not liked very much at shows and I don't find them really well built.
Cassandre, Julie, Gala, Filibert and Pupuce.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 01:27:14 PM »
While sable is an accepted colour, it is so rarely seen that I don't think some judges know what to do with them. Also, because they are rare, your chances of getting a championship quality dog in a sable package aren't too great  :-\ 

If you want a sable, be prepared to accept that it may just be a pet. If it should turn out to be a quality dog, and you are an experienced exhibitor who wants a challenge then get one. If you want to show and win then stick to the more common colours  :blink:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline LinsR

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 08:24:11 PM »
I think there are a variety of colours that are difficult to show, but each judge should look at the breed standard and not the colour.

I have handled Sables in the UK that have been at Championship level, I know of two that will be at Crufts this year.

Go with your heart  :luv: good luck x

Offline JohnW

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 01:31:53 PM »
Hi guys I read a book on cockers that covered this question about sables ever been shown. It stated that in recent years the colour sable has been added to the list of accepted colours, Although the colour has been around for many years but many breeders would have dismissed them as non-standard colour. Many were not registered and simply given away as pets. The first sable to be shown was Ch. Elmbury Cinnamon Teal. However because his breeder did not think he would be truly accepted by English Judges he was exported to the USA where he went on to pass his colour to many of his progeny. It seems Sables are more popular in the USA than Europe. But there seems to be no reason in showing a Sable as they do seem an acceptable colour. But Looking at Pictures of sables I am undecided whether I find the colour attractive this is probably because they are so unusually marked.