Author Topic: Amazing Collection of Colours  (Read 2239 times)

Offline aliceandlouis

Amazing Collection of Colours
« on: June 01, 2010, 10:10:43 AM »
Not really a question, but more an observation.  I visited a friend yesterday whose working cocker bitch has just had 4 adorable puppies and I was astonished to see that they are all different colours  :o.  Mum is a beautiful apricot colour, dad is black with white flash on chest and the pups are:
1 black and white bitch - Betsy
1 lemon and white dog - Heston
1 black dog - with white norty spot and white toes on all four paws.
1 dark apricot dog with honey coloured flash on chest.
What a mix!! I don't know what colours were in parents backgrounds, but I would guess there was quite a variation?  All beautiful though and very, very hungry - but first-time mum, Wynny, has been brilliant.  Hoping to see them again before they go off to their new homes.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Amazing Collection of Colours
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 11:37:59 AM »
probably because Working Cocker breeders traditionally never bred for colour and therefore bred (and do breed) any colour together - if you look at a pedigree colour wise it will be all over the place  ;)

helen & jarvis x

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 11:42:02 AM »
Its funny how the colours work out isn't it. In Roxy's litter (Red Mum, Choc Roan Dad) they had three Red, two Red and White. When the mating was repeated a year later they had three Choc, two Liver and White. I've seen some worker litters that have a whole rainbow of colurs - lovely  :luv:

Offline Siptah

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 09:51:34 AM »
Gretas mum is red, the father black and white and the puppies are two red, one black, two black and tan and two sable.  :luv: 

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 10:08:46 AM »
Clovers litter were also quite strange. Dad was a beautiful red and tan (a combination ive never seen since) and her mum was a lovely golden Roan. Id was on the waiting list before they were born and was secretly hopeful for an unusual colour given the mix of colours going it...

....The whole litter of 4 came out dark choc with just a little white on their chest.  :005: All lovely just not what me or the breeder were expecting.  :005:

Mind you shes manage to grow blonde highlights over the summer. To the point she looks almost golden :shades:

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 11:09:19 AM »
Personally, it's lovely coming on here to see all the great colours.......most working Cockers we see are black or chocolate....Alfie is a very rare colour on the shoots and most non 'cocker' people think he is a retriever puppy so I'm loving see others like him.....he is the most photogenic of my 3 :luv:

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 11:12:45 AM »
I have seen some very multi coloured litters  :luv:

I suppose I have what could be classed as less common colours but my favourite colour is black and i dont have one   :005:

• Inactive
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 11:14:09 AM »

I suppose I have what could be classed as less common colours but my favourite colour is black and i dont have one   :005:

yet? :005:

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 11:29:19 AM »

There wont be another dog here for a long, long time yet  ;)

I never set out to get the colours I got it just happened, in fact some of my dogs are my least favourite cocker colours  ph34r

• Inactive
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 12:53:21 PM »

There wont be another dog here for a long, long time yet  ;)

I never set out to get the colours I got it just happened, in fact some of my dogs are my least favourite cocker colours  ph34r

shush....they can't hear you say that! ;)