Author Topic: Dogs and sunstroke  (Read 456 times)

Offline Scarlett

• Julie & Scarlett from Greece
Dogs and sunstroke
« on: December 19, 2011, 07:47:57 AM »
Please mind my "off the season" question  :lol:

Scarlett is a swimming lover :luv: :005:
During holidays & almost all weekends she is with us by the beach enjoying swimming, playing & lying by the sun.... :shades:
We have to take her to the shadow under the umbrella after some time beacause of the heat & strong sun....she is a sun magnet too because of her colour....
So, we said (for fun) to buy for her a hat... :005:
Is this gonna help? Do dogs suffer from sunstroke? Not only hot temperature but also the bad effects on the head?
I have found a nice link with cheap dog hats & wonder whether it's worthy to buy one for her....
"Of all the dogs that are so sweet
The Spaniel is the most complete.
Of all the Spaniels, dearest far
The little loving Cockers are."
Ernest Howard Shepard, Mc Obe 1879 - 1976

Offline JeffandAnnie

Re: Dogs and sunstroke
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 11:51:13 AM »
Not sure if they suffer from sunstroke as such, but they definitely suffer from heatstroke. We've had a couple of occasions when we've had to give Jeff and Annie a cool shower after a longish walk in hot weather. Not sure a hat would help, as I think their whole bodies overheat rather than just their heads  :dunno:

Offline Scarlett

• Julie & Scarlett from Greece
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 11:55:02 AM »
Not sure if they suffer from sunstroke as such, but they definitely suffer from heatstroke. We've had a couple of occasions when we've had to give Jeff and Annie a cool shower after a longish walk in hot weather. Not sure a hat would help, as I think their whole bodies overheat rather than just their heads  :dunno:
Thanks for this...This is my main question....suffering from the sun & special head protection....
"Of all the dogs that are so sweet
The Spaniel is the most complete.
Of all the Spaniels, dearest far
The little loving Cockers are."
Ernest Howard Shepard, Mc Obe 1879 - 1976

Offline seaangler

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 11:58:55 AM »
All animals suffer sun stroke/heat stroke some more than others..We have to smuther the stuff on both are horses both have very pale mussals....A dap on your dog nose would not go a miss provideing he does NOT lick it of like most do...

If your dog was left in the wild it would no dowt cover it self in all kinds of smelly things to help it keep cool and not to burn in the sun as to pigs eleiphans hogs wild horses zebras all anilmals in fact....We try and stop them from doing it its only nateral for them to sneek into a dirty water hole and cover them selves in muck....Thats there way of keeping cool >:( :005:

And black dogs as well more so than others..Also white cats and dogs.Like hairy feet as said....And white dogs/ cats with there ears are bad for it as well

look what happens to a dog left in a car on a hot day >:( >:( >:( >:( THEY DIE...Even with the window hafe way down.....

Its strange to say i have been to mean to lot of very hot countrys and have NEVER seen a dog left in a car....
In Greese/turkey/Spain i have seen dogs change up out side a corogated so called kennel... on there alotments or small holdins >:( Saying that if your dog can ware a hat and keep it on all well and good seen loads of donkeys in greece with hats on....

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 12:05:16 PM »
We had Jessie :luv: the black
and white staffie and used to put
total sunblock on her nose and
ears to prevent sunburn she looked
quite sweet with her war-paint on!
steffxxx