Author Topic: do you "wet" dry kibble?  (Read 1591 times)

Offline kate2

• ** Kiwi & Lilly ** 4yr old WCS girls
do you "wet" dry kibble?
« on: October 14, 2014, 05:08:54 PM »
I'm swapping my two adult dogs over to Burns lamb and rice kibble, and just wondered if you are supposed to add water to soak it overnight/during the day? or just pour it out dry?

I've been adding a glug of water and leaving it to soak but not sure that's the right thing to do? They always have fresh water down to drink

Thank you :)

Offline lozzyf

Re: do you "wet" dry kibble?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 08:17:09 PM »
I feed burns and in the morning I run a bit of water over it and on the evenings I don't so I would think it doesn't matter. . . I only started wetting it for my first dog as she would sometimes just walk off and now it's a habit!!!

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 06:51:24 AM »
my 3 have dry kibble for breakfast and I then soak their dinner kibble in advance and then mix a little meat in just before I give it to them
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 07:17:23 AM »
I feed Jazz on Burns Lamb and Rice and have always moistened the kibble first.  I put the required amount into his bowl and pour enough hot water from the kettle to cover the kibble.  I then immediately sieve off the water, so the kibble is just softened a little.  I also add some meat, either cooked chicken or cooked mince, but that is just my preference as I feel it makes his dinner more appetising.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 02:25:13 PM »
Nope, never wet it.  :blink:
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 02:36:19 PM »
I don't think either way is wrong. We have always put something wet onto kibble just because it take a lot of fluid to digest kibbles and so if there is some in the bowl it takes less out of the dog or they have to drink less.

When he came to us from MT Buster was somewhat under weight and so we put some milk on to build him up. He seems to have got a taste for it now! Still he did a seven mile walk with some long, steep climbs on Sunday so it must be suiting him

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 04:12:03 PM »
Some people do, some don't - it is up to you and what suits your dog!  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 07:11:19 PM »
Both Milly and Chaz have their kibble dry but with a bowl of fresh water right alongside. Our vet once told us that crunching dry kibble helped to keep their teeth clean.
I think it's very much a matter of individual choice with no "good" or "bad" way of feeding kibble. Dry suits us as we use part of their daily kibble allowance as treats and training rewards as well  ;)

Bob.

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 10:11:10 PM »
Always, I always add quite a lot of water to kibble. I add roughly the same amount of water as I do kibble, so one mug of kibble with one mug of water. This provides the water my dogs needs and will hopefully prevent any kidney problems later on that could result from lack of water intake.
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline dieselboy

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 09:39:55 AM »
We give both ours dry kibble, mainly for there teeth. We have recently been adding water to there dinner to slow them down. Seem to be the only thing that works

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 09:48:40 AM »
I put the tiniest amount of warm water (about 1/4 teaspoon) onto their kibble - it seems to release a lot of scent and this encourages them to eat (Louis was a very fussy eater when he was young and this 'trick' got him into the habit of eating more promptly).  Once started, they munch their way through the dry kibble, which as others say is allegedly good for helping to keep their teeth clean  :D

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 09:57:33 AM »
Tried Buster with dry kibbles for his breakfast as we were a bit low on milk until the milkman came. He looked at them...walked to the fridge and looked at the fridge door. "Come on Dad. wake up. The other stuff is in here!. Can't get the staff these days!"