Author Topic: Switching to adult food - which type of skinners?  (Read 879 times)

Offline Alice10101

Switching to adult food - which type of skinners?
« on: April 28, 2013, 03:36:30 PM »
Waffles is 9 and a half months now and his bag of skinners field and trial puppy food will run out in a couple of weeks.
We want to switch him to adult food as I understand they no longer need so much protein at this age?
Would like to keep him on skinners due to the combination of quality and price, and waffles loves it too (He was on autarky but now he turns his nose up at it!)

My question is does anyone have a recommendation on which type of skinners to get? Went on their website and their range is extensive! Museli, crunchy, ruff and ready, maintenance.. the list goes on!

Hes a working cocker and rather active. Thanks in advance for any recommendations :)

Offline helenb14

• Donator
  • Seve
Re: Switching to adult food - which type of skinners?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 05:08:53 PM »
I used to have Seve on skinners duck and rice, kept his coat nice and shiny and he loved it. He's now fed raw but not because I had a problem with the food. Skinners very helpful I e mailed them and they sent me some samples, so you could make a decision after trying a couple of varieties?

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 05:29:13 PM »
Gemma has Turkey and rice with joint aid, Has been on it now for best part of a year.
At the moment i find Seapets the cheapest. There is a delivery charge if under £34 but I just make the order up with other bits
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 06:19:58 PM »
Pearl isn't a working type but is reasonably active and does do the occasional days work during the season ;) OK I'm stretching that a bit - she has a day out on private land while some folk partake in a sporting activity :005:

She's on Skinners muesli but slightly reduced amount as she's been spayed and doesn't need the full number of calories.  I did try her on the Field and Farm Tripe but she wasn't keen - she has Skinners Working 23 for her big days out - I never buy the Working 23 as the local Farm suppliers have sample packs that are ideal for the few days we need them.

Next door feed their show type cocker on Skinners Ruff which looks and smells just like Skinners Muesli.....it supposed to be slightly higher in protein and help non-working dogs keep weight on!  Pebbles is a beautiful blue roan cocker, naturally very slender and not food orientated - this is one of the few foods they have tried that she will eat.

Do you have a local Farm suppliers?  They will have sample bags you can try for free.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 08:42:49 PM »
Mine are on Skinner's Field&Trial duck and rice and do really well on it; Tilly has it all the time as its the only food she can tolerate due to inflammatory bowel disease, and Ro and Caoimhe have it in the off season for the kibble part of their diet (they're on half kibble and half raw). During the working season I often give Ro Skinner's Crunchy for the extra energy requirements and when she was trialling Caoimhe had some rocket fuel variety that her trainer gets from them which is over 30% protein.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Alice10101

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 11:27:06 AM »
Thanks for the helpful comments
I didnt realise they give out sample I'll definitely be getting some!

Offline Jasper love

• Beautiful Jasper
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 08:13:38 PM »
Jasper has either the duck and rice or the salmon and rice. He's not a working dog but does really well on this. A little while ago I was really poorly and ran out of dog food, my step dad went and bought him some but a different brand, he turned into a complete maniac!! I would never take him off this again! I now make sure I have at least enough in for a few weeks so I can't run out  :005: