Author Topic: Feeding a pet 'working' dog food  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Willowr

Feeding a pet 'working' dog food
« on: May 26, 2014, 11:15:39 PM »
Hi all

I have already asked a question about feeding my 6 month cocker on the puppies page and have been doing an hour or so's research on the options available.

Would I be able to feed working dog food to her even though she isn't in the field all day?

What effect will it have on her temperament as I think the have less protein in ?

Cheers
Dave

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Feeding a pet 'working' dog food
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 11:55:15 PM »
Pearl is a show type and has been fed Skinners or Chudleys most of her life.  Currently on Skinners muesli.  She does really well on the food and has a lovely coat - I do weigh every meal and feed her slightly less than the recommended amount to compensate for being less active and the amount of treats she has each day!

On the odd day that she does work I increase the amount to normal portions and carry a piece of fudge just in case  ;)

Each dog is different - the protein level may not suit all.... If you call the manufacturers they will offer advice (their food, obviously  :005: ) but also a sample.  When Pearl started to have real problems with her anal glands, Skinners sent 5Kg of salmon and rice for her to try.  It did help but ultimately the glands were removed hence being back on the muesli which she loves!

Dog food is such a confusing topic - good luck!

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 06:58:42 AM »
My previous cocker, Odie was fed on CSJ Champ! for a couple of years, even though he was a show type and definitely not mega active.  He loved it and thrived.  My vet said it was OK to feed him it until he got older (maybe 6+) then I should be looking to change to a non working, good quality food.  As it happens, he kind of went off it so I changed it to JWB but his condition and weight were fab whilst he was fed the CSJ.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Bevjparkes

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 08:19:46 AM »
Murphy has been on Autarky ever since we had him at 8 weeks, first the puppy food and then the adult salmon variety. He's always thrived on it, I have tailored the amount to maintain his weight.  Since 11 months he's been pretty constant at 14.7 kg. 

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 08:35:11 AM »
Food is often sold for "working dogs", this is to avoid paying tax so works out cheaper, the ingredients are no different.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 09:48:28 AM »
Food is often sold for "working dogs", this is to avoid paying tax so works out cheaper, the ingredients are no different.

That's what I was going to say! They are VAT exempt so it's more a labelling thing really. The high protein content shouldn't really make much of a difference. Many if the top end kibbles - Eden, Applaws etc have very high protein contents but are not aimed at working dogs.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 10:32:54 AM »
Gemma is on Skinners although she is a worker and does work. but saying that she only works Oct to Feb. Our lazy staffie also has the same food.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 11:23:33 AM »
Archie is on Simpsons 80/20 and protein level is 38%.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 12:50:40 PM »

That's what I was going to say! They are VAT exempt so it's more a labelling thing really. The high protein content shouldn't really make much of a difference. Many if the top end kibbles - Eden, Applaws etc have very high protein contents but are not aimed at working dogs.

I feed my two food for 'working dogs' it was a pet shop owner who told me about it, when I looked into it, there was hardly any difference in the foods.
There's been no difference in how my two act since they've been on it

Offline Willowr

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 04:02:44 PM »
I've plumped for skinners junior based on your feedback. Our chocky lab had a few food allergies and we had him on some expensive brands. Eventually we changed him over to the skinners working 23(?) and it worked wonders.

The junior feed has 10% oils and 27% protein. Will be switching her over to the working 23 when she is around 14-16 months.

Cheers
Dave