Author Topic: Advised by vet to give ernie working dog food as he's underweight .  (Read 4394 times)

Offline Ernies mum

Re: Advised by vet to give ernie working dog food as he's underweight .
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 07:34:13 PM »
Still pleased to report that ernies tummy is really settled since feeding Millie's wolfheart and 3 firm poos a day  .... Yippee !!

I'm still feeding him 3 times a day as he's such an active puppy .... My neighbours have Nick named Ernie usain bolt as he's so fast when he runs on the field with their dogs  :005:

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 09:52:14 PM »
That's great.  Archie is doing 3 firm poos a day too on Millies Wolfheart Gundog mix, really pleased with, he adores it and wolfs ( :lol2:) it down in seconds and is looking a lot healthier  :D
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 11:21:18 PM »
That's great news Lesley, I know the trials and tribulations you have gone through with food and poos, so glad you have found something that suits him  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 08:22:00 AM »
Yes, it's certainly been a battle and a tricky area of dog ownership to get right!
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Ernies mum

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 10:50:52 AM »
Yep still all good here with Ernie and so pleased it's all going well for Archie too . Like you said Lesley it's been the biggest challenge to find a food to suit Ernie but so great when you finally get there  ;)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 11:42:05 AM »
That's good to hear!  I'm even using the Millies for his treats too (he still gets one every time he toilets  :lol2:)

Offline rubybella

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 01:14:53 PM »
I find it unbelievable that your vet considered your puppy underweight at 11kg and wanted to see him at about 13kg! My adult working cocker weighs between 11-12kg and she is a perfect weight. If she got to 13-14kg she would be definitely be overweight!

My girls are on Millies Utility and Millies Tracker mix and doing really well on it. 

Offline Ernies mum

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2015, 06:16:49 PM »
I find it unbelievable that your vet considered your puppy underweight at 11kg and wanted to see him at about 13kg! My adult working cocker weighs between 11-12kg and she is a perfect weight. If she got to 13-14kg she would be definitely be overweight!

My girls are on Millies Utility and Millies Tracker mix and doing really well on it.

I know 11kg sounds like a good weight but Ernie was skinny when I took him to the vets , you could feel his spine, ribs and hip bones and people were constantly telling me he was too thin . I think part of it is that he's been growing in length and height .Hes starting to look much better now and doing great on the new food .

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2015, 09:43:20 PM »
I know my Archie is more or less fully grown now at 18 months old and not a puppy but he was weighing between 10.9-11.2kg and his spine/hips and ribs were very evident and he simply looked dreadful (it wasn't very pleasant stroking him and feeling only bones).  He finds it incredibly difficult to keep weight on whereas my previous cocker was absolutely spot on weight and condition-wise at 11.2kg.

Offline juju

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2015, 08:11:31 PM »
My working cocker Izzy is two and a half, and three months ago was in a similar state to Archie. She loved Gentle dry dog food but was actually losing weight on it. She has been on Millies Wolfheart Gundog mix for a month or two now and is slowly putting on weight. Her coat has lost the harsh look  it had, and has become really glossy. 

Offline Ernies mum

Ernie is finally looking like a healthy puppy instead of a starvation case ,he's filled out nicely .although I didn't think he was effected by being underweight he's now got even more  energy and is a complete lunatic on our walks , constantly running back and forth and lots of  zoomies which is great to see !!  :luv:
He loves the gundog mix and has the training treats and lambskin chews too , it's so nice to have found a food that doesn't upset his tummy and that has helped him put on  and maintain weight .