Author Topic: Chicken feed!!  (Read 1622 times)

Offline barnfind

• Inactive
  • Barney
Chicken feed!!
« on: February 20, 2015, 05:44:44 PM »
I have some suspicion that Barney has a reaction to Chicken products. No matter what I have fed since rehoming him, including boiled rice and chicken for a week, his movements have continued to remain soft to runny!

A visit to the vet with a dose of worming tab and Promax paste has not 'done the trick' and have recently switched to using Burns Original Chick/Rice, which he enjoys, but has not produced the desired 'firm stools' I/we (well mainly me as he doesn't seem bothered) am seeking! :shades:

So, any opinions from the forum about what you feed a golden boy.?? ;)

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
Re: Chicken feed!!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 06:27:14 PM »
Hi and welcome

There are a few members who have moved away from anything chicken.  Why not just try white fish for a few days - just microwave it.  I would even be tempted to leave out the rice as well so that you can really determine what upsets his tum!  Then when his tum has settled, start introducing things one by one.

Good luck!  PS you will become an expert in poos!!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 06:59:27 PM »
You could also try plain boiled, mashed potato as an alternative to rice, as this itself can upset some dogs - also I believe sweet potato is supposed to be good.

As Pat says it really is trial and error - and can take a while to find the right combinations  :shades:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 07:40:16 PM »
Chicken can be hard to digest for some dogs so your suspicion may be right ;-) Burns is a working dog food which is quite high in protein - I found Pearl gets an upset tum with anything over 30% which is a shame as I wanted her to have Arden Grange or Applaws  >:(

It may be worth contacting some of the named brands to ask for advice and samples (I know Skinners and Chudleys offer this service) to see how you get on once he's a bit better.

It may also be his situation, although he's now in a fantastic home he has gone through a stressful time in his life that may have caused a bit of an imbalance in his gut. Like humans, avoid sugars and keep up with the promax paste.

Hope Barney is fully recoverd soon

Jayne
X

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 07:53:40 AM »
I would try some white fish on its own, or some scrambled egg.
Pumpkin is also good for firming up poop, not the sweetened variety but the bland tin of libbys is good.
I always keep a tin of it and when opened I freeze the rest in portions.

Offline barnfind

• Inactive
  • Barney
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 09:55:20 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I have given him a scrambled egg this morning and will give him white fish for his tea and will continue that strategy for a few days to see if things improve if not, I will be back to the vet with a faecal sample for analysis.

Peter

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 10:42:41 AM »
Sounds like a good plan. I hope he picks up soon. My Mum swears by this whenever her dogs have had a problem. It certainly seems to work.

http://www.dorwest.com/Products/TB/tree-barks-powder-for-dogs-and-cats

Offline linda c

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 04:26:24 PM »
Our gold boy couldn't have anything with chicken in it. Just the slightest amount and he'd have  runny poo's for days. We tried  several different types of food and found Lamb seemed ok. When he was on Burns he didn't hold his weight very well and we had to feed him that much he was going several times a day. I always kept a tube of Pro-Kaolin in and gave him that for a few days which always cleared things up.
You may find it's a trial and error thing finding the right food that will suit him. We went through so many different brands to find one which eventually seemed ok. James Wellbeloved Lamb and Vegetables with a small amount of Lamb  Naturdiet.
A friend of mine has him now and he's on the Lamb and Rice without the Naturediet and he seems fine.
It's surprising how many foods have chicken or chicken products in them, check all the ingredients and ideally meat should be the first one.
Every dog is different so good luck with things and I'm sure you'll find one that suits Barney 😃

Offline carol pearson

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 07:04:41 PM »
White fish and sweet potato was the only thing that worked for my dog. In fact it is still his main food although I can now add to it but only in small quantities. He is fine with small amounts of lamb heart or venison. I also add green beans. Extras are scrambled eggs and sardines in spring water.
I prefer to cook his tea but he has Wainwrights Salmon and Potato dry for his breakfast. You could try a fish based dry food, they are good for sensitive tummies. Good luck.

Offline barnfind

• Inactive
  • Barney
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 06:39:58 PM »
Just an quick update.

Having been on white fish the 'output' has reduced although still very loose after the first motions of the day! I have bought a 2kg bag of Arden Grange Sensitive, that has mainly fish and potato (50%), although I see it has refined chicken oil (whatever that is?) in it and am not sure this will be suitable, but I will gradually introduce it into his feed and see what transpires?

If that doesn't improve the situation I am taking a sample of 'the output' to the vet for analysis.

He doesn't show any signs of being ill and has plenty of energy, but obviously the runny poo is not ideal!! >:(

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 09:00:37 PM »
I don't know if the following website will be of interest to you, as you can see they produce food for dogs made from only fish. I buy the majority of my fishy dog treats from here and they have always gone down well....& they offer free delivery on the smallest of orders.

Hope your dog is sorted soon.

http://www.fish4dogs.com/Products/Fish-Complete-4-Dogs.aspx
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 10:44:40 AM »
When Ellie came to live with us she had terrible
colitis and wasn't house trained (she was a re-home0
I added a little probiotic goat yog or Acidophilus capsules
to her food as a matter of course until everything firmed
up(acidophilus from Holland and Barret)

Offline barnfind

• Inactive
  • Barney
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 06:26:10 PM »
Ok, so it's nearly a month since posting this and it needs an update.

Have tried all the recommended alternatives within this timescale, I have decided to take a sample of 'output' for analysis. I will post a new topic elsewhere.

Thanks all.