Author Topic: Advice - my boy is off his food  (Read 6327 times)

Offline Rhodri0311

Advice - my boy is off his food
« on: May 17, 2019, 01:16:38 PM »
I wonder if any experienced cocker owners could give me some advice.

Rhodri is three and for the last few weeks, it’s been a real struggle to get him to eat his food. He has kibble with a small pouch of wet food in the morning and kibble and chicken in the evening.

He’s fine in all other ways - loving his walks, crazy when anyone comes and still looking for his evening biscuit and dentastix.

The only thing is I don’t think his flea treatment is working anymore - I’ve only found a couple but he’s scratching and biting and I’m concerned that this is affecting his appetite.

I really don’t know what to do as we’ve always been so diligent with his flea treatment. He’s had a bout previously so we changed his treatment and sprayed the house. I don’t know what else to do as the spray is supposed to last 12 months.

Any advice would be so much appreciated.

I’m going to make an appointment at the vet next week but I’m always a bit sceptical about them (previous bad experience with another pet).

Thanks all x

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: Advice - my boy is off his food
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 01:57:33 PM »
Firstly after years I have finally found a great vet, Ollie is 11 so gives you an idea. It is a small private vets with two partners - she is one with a couple of young vets too. So maybe ask folk you meet with a dog can they recommend you - that was how I came to find mine.

I was at the vet this week with Ollie and spoke with her regarding flea treatment etc, was concerned about using the Sereto collar as he is a very velco dog and sits on me/next to me - she comment that while she had no feedback to her she understood my concerns, we then went on to speak about Bravecto tablet which she uses on her dogs, she said that if I googled I would encounter lots of negatives regarding them, but the only thing she has found with her and other reports from owners is loose stools sometimes for a few days. With this I declined as Ol has always had a sensitive tum.

So has Rhodri recently had a tablet for fleas, or was it topical.  Have you tried giving him a bit of something else to encourage him like pieces of chicken placed in his normal food or a few pieces sausage etc, Ol has always been a monkey hungry but wanting what you have type of thing, so I will drop a spoonful of gravy on top of his food with a snip or two of meat and down it goes.  If it is that he eats something else then it is just a fussy cocker :D
Worth trying rather than jumping to other food brands just giving a bit of enticement to what he normally has and see it it works. I had this with mine and used this method, just if it works keep reducing it each time to get him back to just eating his normal food or you will have a demanding cocker who expects the added bits to be on every time.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Rhodri0311

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 05:10:52 PM »
Thank you.

Rhodri has recently had his monthly flea treatment - we’re using Frontline at the moment, previously used Advocate but he had a few fleas so wondered if he had become immune to it.

I’m worried about trying Bravecto as I’ve read negative things.

With regards to his food, I’m going to try some sardines for his breakfast tomorrow. Evenings he has fresh chicken with kibble so I don’t know what else I could tempt him with!! I know I spoil him and I’m sure he’d eat when he’s hungry but I can’t help adding bits to tempt him.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 05:11:27 PM »
Perhaps take a pooh sample to check for worms? I believe fleas and worms are connected so its feasible if he‘s had a couple of flea bites that he‘s also picked up some sort of parasite? (I have Humph‘s pooh checked regularly rather just deworm)
Other than that, nothing obvious springs to mind. Hope he‘s back to normal soon!  :luv:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 06:38:18 PM »
Thank you.

Rhodri has recently had his monthly flea treatment - we’re using Frontline at the moment, previously used Advocate but he had a few fleas so wondered if he had become immune to it.

I’m worried about trying Bravecto as I’ve read negative things.

I agree I have always wondered - but at least this vet had an open and understanding talk regarding it, whilst the previous chap more or less said it was that or buy something elsewhere.  Advantix has always helped - but Ollie has had for 2 years so will use Frontline Plus when next buying

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 10:22:20 AM »
Maybe try and catch a flea so the vet can check in the microscope what type it is and make sure the treatment is correct? Some types are easier to get rid of than others as I understand. Especially when it comes to getting them out of the house. I know with some types of fleas they recommend hoovering often and emptying the hoover every time. Fleas like to hide so getting into nooks and crannies is important, as well as hoovering matresses and sofas etc.  Washing all fabrics that can be washed on 60 degrees, putting other fabrics in the freezer to freeze the fleas and then shake them off or rinse them off before the fleas thaw out and wake back up. Sounds like a full time job for a few weeks, but that's what they recommend here  :dunno: I did some research a few years back when I found fleas on my dog.

If you are worried about trying Bravecto there are other options of tablets for flea and tick prevention. I don't think there is any reason to fear bravecto, I've asked many vets and none of them had seen any serious side effects, but I understand how you feel. I am currently using nexgard on my dog, it works in the same way bravecto does, but it only lasts one month. It felt less scary to try something that leaves the body a little bit faster.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 05:54:56 PM »
It may not be that your boy is immune to Frontline, my vet said that our local fleas were immune to it,  it certainly didn’t work for us. In desperation I settled for a tablet which worked straight away,  no side effect. I don’t treat continuously, because I read the small print which stated it should only be used for a year. So maybe it’s not tested for long term use? You only read the bad reviews on google, so it’s hard to make a judgment.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 10:24:19 AM »
What tabet would that be...I don't know of many (any) med tablets that don't have side effects albeit hidden

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 11:15:06 AM »
Simparica.  I meant it didn’t give my dogs any problem. The small print gives warning of “overdosing causing self limiting neurological signs, from which dogs recovered without treatment”.   As it’s prescription only, the vet checked the dogs over, but he uses it all the time, no problems ever. 
Googling brings up the horror stories, but who knows what the owner did. There are different tablet strengths for the range of dog weights, so it has to be properly prescribed as per the small print.
 All I can say is that it cleared up mine immediately, after six weeks failing on frontline and flea shampoo. And household flea bombs.   My daughter used Frontline plus and her dog was ill for a couple of days, so I was fed up with all spot-ons, some of  which can also make resident cats ill.
Chemicals are a worry.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 11:21:18 AM »
Just to add, it’s monthly,  whereas I think Bravecto stays in the system for 3months. I’m not so keen on that.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 09:14:24 PM »
I was told that Frontline had become ineffective when I had my last cocker - over 10 years ago! I’m surprised it’s still available to be honest.  ph34r
If you are seeing fleas the it’s likely he has many, many more of them. I had an infestation on Archie a few years ago (thanks to a visit to my brothers d his 10 vats!  >:() I used Indorex on the house and opted for simparica from the vet. (I too wasn’t keen on bravecto given the length of time it stays in the system.) Archie had it with no problems. The other thing I gave him and that I strongly recommend is Johnson’s 4fleas. It can be given at the same time as other flea control tablets and starts to kill fleas within 15 minutes. It can be bought in pet shops. The combination sorted the problem straight away.
https://www.johnsons-vet.com/catsdogs_4fleas.php

Offline Rhodri0311

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 07:24:38 AM »
Thank you Archie Bean - I’ll certainly have a look at the Johnson’s tablets.

We haven’t been able to find any fleas on him now for over a week yet he’s still scratching.

I had a good conversation with an assistant in Pets at Home at the weekend. We bought stuff and have sprayed everywhere including both our cars! He also gave us advice on the best way to use the spot on.

I’m still concerned about his appetite- he’s eating but breakfast is a no go, but he does seem more enthusiastic at tea time but I don’t think I can cut out the breakfast as he wouldn’t eat extra in the evening.

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 06:02:12 PM »
Don't want to sound negative, but I would certainly double check anything PAH staff tell you...they seem to know very little about animals hence they frequently give wrong info AND the same with vets!

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 06:28:09 PM »
Don't want to sound negative, but I would certainly double check anything PAH staff tell you...they seem to know very little about animals hence they frequently give wrong info AND the same with vets!
Couldn't agree more.  I have a young friend studying to be a vet and I have asked her what nutritional training they get, and it basically an advertising blurb from Royal Canin.  She said she sent the whole session thinking 'she is going to go nuts when I tell her!'  :005:

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 07:33:41 PM »
Depends on the school. At the vet uni in Budapest they do two full semesters of in-depth nutrition. It is one of the largest exams of the entire education and goes into detail on things like nutrition physiology, nutritional factors, relevant deficiencies and toxicosis in relation to nutrition, how nutritional factors are taken up and broken down in the body, composition of feedstuff, nutritional needs of different species and age groups, how to use nutrition in treatment of medical conditions, nutritional disorders, practical feeding, feed production and hygiene etc. Not all vets are the same, they have different schooling and different areas of interest. A veterinarians education also does not stop after college  ;)