Author Topic: Mixing Tuna With Dry Food.  (Read 3819 times)

Offline ziglu

Mixing Tuna With Dry Food.
« on: September 21, 2019, 09:07:09 AM »
Our 9 year old Cocker Spaniel Lulu has got quite fussy with her dry food and she is not keen on wet unless there is a bit of chicken in it, so I have started to put some tuna in with her dry food and she laps it up. my question is when looking up tuna it seems to have a bad press regarding mercury. The one I use is the John west fridge pots about half a pot a day what are your thoughts on this please and or alternative fish as she seems to like fish.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: Mixing Tuna With Dry Food.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 10:56:27 AM »
Archie has to be on an entirely fish based (salmon mostly!) diet due to colitis and allergies. He’s also allergic to peas which are in most wet foods so the one we use is fishmongers finest wet trays from pets at home. The salmon and trout varieties smell really fishy - quite like tuna - so maybe Lulu would enjoy them.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 11:25:25 AM »
Hi there my dog can't really stomach anything other than fish. I feed my dog salmon dry food with a few squirts of salmon oil every day. Twice a week I also mix in a tin of sardines in with his dry food. I wash the oil off the sardines first. He loves them. I don't recommend feeding fish to dogs daily as I've heard that it can make your dog smell.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 01:39:16 PM »
I found that one of mine smelled of fish and chips when she had Arden grange  fish and potato. It had to go!
I’ve used tuna as a topper, but went for the one in spring water.  Sardines in tomato sauce were enjoyed  too! You could just buy a cheap bag of plain frozen  pollack. Cat food was handy too.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline ziglu

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 01:45:20 PM »
Thanks for all your replies, plenty of ideas here.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 03:58:21 PM »
Thanks to Mudmagnets here at COL I have just put Ollie onto Natures Deli Salmon and brown rice after a week of turmoil - in between I gave him cooked steamed white fish basa or salmon purchased from  Iceland with boiled rice...I find basa tasteless as a fish... but quick to defrost and cheaper than fish from our waters...Ollie loved it, but he also loved the grilled fish finger he had yesterday :005:   I was careful with the salmon as tinned has caused problems
Not sure of tuna.... if I was to try it just as little incentive on top - would use the spring water type.

They are crafty monkeys....when I started to introduce his new wet food with a touch of fish on top he stood back and looked as if to say "whats this Mum :shades:"
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 10:06:27 PM »
I was reading on Tribal Foods (Minstrel has their Turkey & Sweet Potato cold pressed food, they also do Salmon) FB page that they are going to bring out some wet food soon, their dry foods do not contain rice, peas, pea protein or potato (amongst other things), so maybe their wet food won't either. Seems all very hush/wait and see atm so don't know any more than that.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline IonaD

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 08:08:26 AM »
Oh my god!! I am currently feeding bella fish every other day with potatoes and veg and I thought the same thing!! She really does have a whiff of the fish and chips about her  :005:

Sardines in tomato is ok to give her? I nearly picked some up the other day but wasn’t sure!!

Offline Barry H

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 10:25:13 AM »
Sardines in tomato is ok to give her? I nearly picked some up the other day but wasn’t sure!!
I've given Jack pilchards in tommy sauce for years twice a week mixed in with his kibble as a treat with no issues.  There's not a lot of sauce TBH.  He goes potty when the tin opener comes out!

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2019, 11:45:49 AM »
Just for the record......Archie doesn’t smell!!  :shades: :005:  :005:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2019, 04:08:01 PM »
My two are raw fed, but don't always get on well with raw oily fish, so once a week they have a large can of pilchards in tomato sauce between them for a meal. I drain most of the tomato sauce off the fish, but there's always some left. I know the sauce has salt in it, but I don't believe a small amount like that once a week is going to do any harm.

Offline IonaD

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2019, 05:41:28 PM »
Amazing. Thank you.

I found some sardines ‘al naturale’ this afternoon so I’ll give those a go first and see how we get on.

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 12:40:39 PM »
My gir is on a lo fat diet, and she has Natures diet fish recipe , it is potao and rice and she has to have it due to Hypothyroidism , she has been on this for 18 mnths now with some veg and meat to vary it, but no fish smell, tho it is white fish