Author Topic: Oscars dog food  (Read 6453 times)

Offline sharesy

• Site Member
Oscars dog food
« on: March 15, 2007, 05:01:00 PM »
I was talking to a man who sells Oscars dog food, he was trying very hard to convert me  :-\  He said that Nature Diet, that I feed Kalli on, hasn't got enough protein in and that could be the reason her leg is bad  :-\

I feed Kalli Nature Diet because I understood it was highly recomended   :-\

Do any of you know about Oscars ?

Could Kallis diet be responable for her leg ?

Its just got me worrying at bit. :huh:

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
Re: Oscars dog food
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 05:13:05 PM »
Oscar's dog food is not bad, however, the rep that talked to you obviously doesn't understand how to calculate protein. Although it says I think about 8% protein on the packet of Nature Diet, it has to be taken into consideration that this is a wet food. If compared to a dry food (which Oscar's is) that contains hardly any moisture, it actually comes to I think about 40% protein... a lot more than what Oscar's has I am sure!

So no, if your dog is happy on Nature Diet - which is indeed one of the best foods available - stick to it!  ;)

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline kookie

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 05:23:45 PM »
My lot have oscars. Sometimes a bit of nature diet mixed in, but mostly oscars. Do really well on it too.
Not sure about the ins and out, but the fish and potato has 23% protein. Cant remember what the lamb and rice has, Ive thrown the sack away.
If youre happy with nature diet though,I cant see the point of changing.
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 08:04:48 AM »
My lot are also on Oscar lamb and rice and The new pup in on chicken and fresh duck never a morsel left. They have lovely glossy coats and (with the exception of Henry) keep very slim and fit. Our agent is great nothing too much trouble.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 09:11:58 AM »
wow that is a hard sell isn't it...however good oscars may be i would be strongly tempted not to buy it after that comment!

unless he has medical proof that this is the cause, it's complete supposition and others that feed naturediet will testify that it is a good allround and ethical dog food ;)

helen & jarvis x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 09:15:16 AM »
I agree with Livercake - that would put me off buying Oscars.  I do not believe it is true either.  There are plenty of foods that are not good quality but Naturediet is certainly not one of those. IMO it is one of the best there is and he is quite irresponsible making comments like that unless he can back them up with evidence.  >:(  He is obviously on commission  ::)
Julie and Watson

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 01:12:19 PM »
They are franchised. I can only speak as I find my man is great but most of all my dogs love the food and thrive on it.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 01:14:50 PM »
The training given to Oscars franchisee's focuses on fairly pushy sales techniques - I had a long chat with someone about it once  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 03:24:34 PM »
They are franchised. I can only speak as I find my man is great but most of all my dogs love the food and thrive on it.

i'm sure the food is great, but not the selling methods in sharesy's case - it would devastate me if i thought i was affecting the health of my dog  :-\
helen & jarvis x

Offline kookie

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 05:01:57 PM »
my chap is great too, I found him to be honest, and has even talked me out of buying some stuff, because he wants me to be completely happy and go back obviously.
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline sharesy

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 06:32:49 PM »
Thank you for your replies, you have put my mind at rest. ;)

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 06:38:07 PM »
I agree Livercake no hard sell should be involved the food should speak for itself (iykwim) :005: When we started to get Oscar our agent came to our home asked us questions about our dogs, needs, lifestyle, health that kind of thing. He gave us samples of the food, worked out how much each dog should have based on weight etc. He also worked out how long a bag should last and puts it into his data base and gives me a ring a few days before i am due to run out. I would be inclined sharesy to get in touch with head office as this agents attitude is far from good.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 06:41:58 PM »
When we started to get Oscar our agent came to our home asked us questions about our dogs, needs, lifestyle, health that kind of thing. He gave us samples of the food, worked out how much each dog should have based on weight etc. He also worked out how long a bag should last and puts it into his data base and gives me a ring a few days before i am due to run out.

Mmm, OH thinks this is good customer service, but I might find it a bit too pushy for my liking  ;) I guess it depends what you are looking for in a dog food sales rep - and what you are prepared to pay for it  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 06:53:40 PM »
The food we buy is £35 for a 15kg bag which lasts the five big boys about 3 weeks. I don't think that is too bad. I suppose it can seem a bit pushy coming into your home blinding you with science. My vet seems very happy with their condition and weight if he wasn't i would change food in a heartbeat.

Penel

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 11:19:22 PM »
There is no way that what you are feeding your dog has had an effect on her leg..... please don't change her food cos of an idiotic comment like that.
Naturediet is miles better than Oscars.