Author Topic: "Rabbit" Food  (Read 1857 times)

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
"Rabbit" Food
« on: March 05, 2008, 03:01:20 PM »
Both George and Hamish are mainly fed on Arden Grange, although they do occassionally  have chicken wings, sardines and raw bones on a regular basis to keep their teeth nice and clean, my question is, that i have noticed the butcher where i get their bones from has recently had fresh rabbit in, how much would you feed to each dog, would 1 rabbit be enough for 2 dogs ph34r and do you ask the butcher to cut it into portioins, or would i do this myself, baring in mind i am a veggie ph34r :005:
Thank you :D

Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: "Rabbit" Food
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 04:15:42 PM »
Rabbit carcasses are a great barf food, I buy them for Alfie and Rodaidh whenever I can. I usually cleaver them in half myself, one half is one meal for Alfie, although bearing in mind he weighs around 16kg but still looks very lean as he doesn't put on or retain weight so he needs a lot of food. I usually just give Rodaidh the other half as a meal as well for handiness sake but if he gets that then he gets a very reduced portion for his other meal that day. I'm sure the butcher would cut them up for you, mine does sometimes but if I'm in a hurry I just grab them and run and do them myself at home.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 04:31:24 PM »
My butcher chops them up for me. my girls are only small so they just get a quarter each at a time. The only thing I dont like about them is the rib bones look very sharp and needle like. So I don't feed them to often.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 05:35:08 PM »
Thanks Nicola and Julie, i think i will ask the butcher to cut it into portions for me, until i can get used to it  :005: it sounds like it will be a good healthy meal for them, my Mum informed me, that she used to eat a lot of rabbit during the war and very tasty it was too :shades:

George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 06:46:14 PM »
Oo - wabbit, my two love it  :luv:  If your butcher has them in, you might want to buy a few and freeze them; my butcher can go weeks without any and then get loads at once  ::) 

A big rabbit will provide 6 meals for my two (I feed twice a day) and my butcher is happy to portion them when I buy them from him  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 06:58:23 PM »
Coco loves Wabbit too.  :D I sometimes get them from the farmer's market and I chop them up myself - usually into about 4 or 5 bits.  I am not too keen on chopping them up as they can be quite bloody so if I were you I would just get the butcher to cut them into 4. ;)  They can vary in size quite a bit obviously but there is usually quite a bit of meat on them and mine have some of the organs still attached inside too.  Personally I don't eat bunny but it is a great BARF food - I agree with Ladylola about the rib bones but Coco has not had a problem with them  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 07:04:17 PM »
A big rabbit will provide 6 meals for my two (I feed twice a day) and my butcher is happy to portion them when I buy them from him  :D

Hurley is the same - he gets 6 meals out of one rabbit. Hurley weighs about 15kg
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline LesleyW

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 07:47:43 PM »
rabbit is excellent food for doggies and pussers alike!  I regularly get it from friends who shoot, although butchers who stock it are rare now, as they have to have a game license etc.  They are also not allowed to sell it with the skin on which is a shame (some EU rule I think) because the skin is a wonderful natural wormer apparently!

I cleaver them myself like Nic, but would only feed a quarter at a sitting as Bracken is a small doglet, and she also has veggies at mealtimes.

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 04:37:39 PM »
Thank you all for your very helpful replies, i shall be going to the butchers tomorrow morning for their supply of bones, so i shall see, if they have a supply of rabbits in, i shall let you know how it goes :D

George'n' Hamish's Mum