Author Topic: How much?  (Read 857 times)

Offline madden060

• Site Member
How much?
« on: March 05, 2008, 06:52:51 PM »
I have just obtained Molly through Four Paws Rescue.  I would like some advice about what I should feed her on.  I am giving her lamb mince at night but would like to know approximately how much to give her.  So far it has been about 150 grams.  Should I give her chicken wings in the morning and if so how many?  If she is on a BARF diet can she have any little biscuit treats or what can I give her when I leave her? 

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: How much?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 07:01:29 PM »
How much you feed her depends what weight she is and what condition she's in - is she a bit overweight, underweight or just right for her frame... It's impossible to say unless you know this.

You can give biscuits with a barf diet (but not at the same time as raw meat) or you could use bits of fruit and veg, cheese or homemade treats like liver or tuna bread.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
Re: How much?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 07:03:17 PM »
Well I feed Hurley about 150g of mincea day coupled with 2 chicken wings. (one for each meal). Molly is much smaller than Hurley so I will try and get a link so you can work out how much to feed her.

I also feed him a raw egg a couple of times a week mixed in with the mince
Once or twice a week (depending on if i forget to defrost the chicken wings) i feed him about 150g of pilchards in tomato sauce (but i rinse the sauce off)

You'll also need to feed her a small piece of liver/kidney a couple times a week

because of all the other hoo ha about happy chickens I try and get wild rabbit now. one rabbit does 6 meals and costs about £3 from the butcher. Hardly any chicken wings are happy chickens so I feel a bit mean and a bit of a hypocrite not buying it for me but buying it for Hurley.

You should try and feed her about an ice cube size of veg once a day - some people blend it all up, freeze it in ice cubes and defrost one a day. Hurley however is a fussy so and so, and doesnt like veg (unless they are organic peppers or mini courgettes) so gets it when Im cooking it. Lots of dogs like to snack on carrots (and they are very good treats), apples, bananas etc. The only fuit and veg that are nono are grapes, sultanas and raw onions, pototoes and leeks.

Kibble (dry food) and raw food, fed at the same time isnt advised as I belive its digested at different rates. but, as you know I always leaves Hurleys busy buddy filled with dry treats when I leave him and that's almost always demolished just after I leave the house (straight after breakfast!)

http://www.raw4dogs.com/calculate.htm - use this link as a rule of thumb to calculate - although if H is looking a bit porky I reduce it for a while, likewise if he's looking a bit skinny I add a bit more
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."