Author Topic: Time for a change?  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
Time for a change?
« on: April 08, 2008, 12:31:20 PM »
Paisley is currently fed Purina Pro Plan puppy, she'll be 6 months next week.  She seems to do well on this food although recently she's been having a nibble, then wandering off and going back to have another nibble, she rarely eats it all now in the 20mins I allow her to have it!  And I only give her a handful in each meal (3 times a day).

So should I change?  Is it time for an adult food? 

I like the fact that Purina has 20% chicken as the main ingredient but others have said they don't like Purina for the ethics?!  I was thinking about trying autarky, are the ingredients good in this food?

Sorry for all the questions!

Becky
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Time for a change?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 01:51:39 AM »
At 6 months she's probably ready to cut back to 2 meals per day. They often wean themselves from the 3rd meal  :blink: She can either go on an adult diet, or can stay on puppy for a few more months

As far as what to feed, you'll probably find as many answers as there are dogs!  :005: My own personal opinion: I don't like the fact that Autarky lists corn as it's first ingredient (even though they are calling it maize, it's still corn  ::) ) Corn, wheat and soy are often culprits in food allergies. I'd much rather see meat as the first ingredient, with rice or potato as the carbohydrate. Also don't want to see any glutens (wheat or corn), it's basically the junk left over from milling the grains

Take your time, research it, see what other people feed whose dogs look sleek and healthy  :shades:

The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 08:04:22 AM »
Thanks for the reply Spaniel Crazy, I never thought that she might be weaning herself off the third meal!  We feed Wilson twice a day but at lunch and dinner times rather than breakfast and dinner because he's too lazy to get up in the mornings to eat!  I think I'll stop giving her the breakfast meal to match with Wilson, otherwise I'm sure she'll be jealous when he has lunch if she's got nothing!

I'll start researching different brands, especially those which have meat as the main ingredient!  I looked at Burns, brown rice was the main ingredient but there was still 20% of chicken which sounded good!  Just got to find a local supplier if I decide on burns!

Thanks

Becky
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 08:11:41 AM »
Just got to find a local supplier if I decide on burns!
The one you sometimes go to in your lunch stocks it  ;)
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline dylan

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 09:14:26 AM »
Dylan is 5 and half months now and have just changed over to Arden Grange, he loves it. He always just grazed on Purina puppy and never ate it all at once . He wolfs the AG down, and always looking for more  :005: poops have been great to, thought maybe might have seen a slight change, but still fine, pickable up poops as i call them  :005:
Tina and Dylan

Offline Hayley1989

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 01:05:05 PM »
I was going to say Arden Grange too! I think there normal chicken and rice has 27% chicken as it's main ingredient.

Have you seen Orijen? It's more expensive per bag but you don't have to feed as much. It's 70% meat 30% fruit and veg. It's what i'm going to feed Ruby after a few weeks of JWB. You can buy it from zooplus http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/orijen

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 01:20:01 PM »
Thanks for the link Hayley, this looks like a very good food.  The only thing that worries me is the 42% protein!  Isn't this way too high?  Most dog food has a protein level of around 20%!

Has anyone else tried this food?

Offline Hayley1989

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 01:32:45 PM »
I asked a similar question earier on in the week. Nicola said she had tried it http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=41714.msg581577#msg581577