Author Topic: Hungry, greedy or time to move to adult????  (Read 1383 times)

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
Hungry, greedy or time to move to adult????
« on: November 07, 2009, 12:02:54 AM »
Hi all, Belle loves her food and she is very greedy, she is now a perfect weight for her size and has lost some of her puppy chunkines. My question is to whether she is hungry or just being greedy or is it time to move from puppy to adult food, is that more satisfying? She is 8 months and is on Burns mini bites she moved to 2 meals a day about 2 months ago, I have noticed the last week or so she is bouncing off her food cupboard and is begging for food almost constantly, I have gone back to splitting her food to 3 meals but she still appears hungry all the time, her exercise hasn't changed etc. I would hate to think she is really hungry and not just being greedy. Is adult burns more filling??? Any experiences/ advice much appreciated Thanks :luv: Jo
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Hungry, greedy or time to move to adult????
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 12:18:31 AM »
Maybe she's getting ready to come into season?  :dunno: Or maybe putting on a layer of fat for the winter  ph34r

She's old enough for adult, all you can do is experiment.
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 08:06:20 AM »
Adult food is only different in terms of protein content mainly so unlikely to satisy her any more. I've found Burns isn't a very filling brand compared to some. It's not very dense or 'meaty'. Belle us probably just going through a phase or maybe a little growth spurt.

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 05:22:37 PM »
OH just bought a bag of puppy that will last 3 weeks ::) so I will keep her on it till then, will up her allowance cos perhaps she is hungry and see how she goes, thanks for your replies :luv:
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Victoria25

• Donator
  • Perfect Poppy (almost!)
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 05:36:01 PM »
Poppy is the same Jo. She has 3 meals a day but is always hungry! Let me know how Belle goes on adult, Poppy has a good month to wait yet OH just bought a large bag of Puppy too. ;)
Poppy is now one! Watch her first year!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVqf3TnIL6c

Offline rwasinski

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 06:47:24 PM »
I did see on Burns packaging that it does suggest to put pups on Burns adult food at 6 months. Hence, I did buy the adult (duck flavour) for Blod (we tried her on Burns for a short while but she wasn't very interested in it after being on Royal Canin). If you would like it Jo, we have a air tight container (almost full pack) of adult duck Burns that might be useful for you. We could drop it off for you. The adult Burns looks no different, just bigger pieces and obviously duck flavour. Blod is back on Royal Canin as her brother is on it, and she just seems to prefer it.

Rebecca, Blod-ness and Llew-bear!

Offline Noodle

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 06:52:15 PM »
Tess is 9 months and just about to start on adult, reading form the threads on COL some start around 6 months so should be ok  :blink:
Nic, Tess & Bella x

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 06:57:53 PM »
I've just started swapping Duggie from Royal Canin to adult Burns, as he is 6 months just about, and Tia's moving onto it too. They are both always looking for food, so I'm unsure if isn't filling as Jo V says or if they are just extra greedy. ::)
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 07:39:08 PM »

My two used to be on Burns. As on my other posts on Burns myJessie lost over a kilo in weight on it.   I think they were both hungry on it, they used to wake early in the morning, but since being on Barking Heads Jessie has put on a kilo in weight and they now sleep through till at least 7.30 of a morning don't know if this is just a co-incedence.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 09:20:50 PM »
Smudge is on Burns+a spoonful of Naturediet cos he was always looking for more too. (should have named him Oliver  :lol2: )

Also notice on Burns alone that his poo's are miniscule and very hard compared to Katie who is on Naturediet and mixer.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline rwasinski

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
That is interesting, as we read that this would be the case (re: size of poos) but it made no difference to our Blod's number twos.

Rebecca, Blod-ness and Llew-bear!

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 10:26:37 PM »
My lot are on Royal Canin and raw tripe. Tally went a bit lean a little while back and I just upped it all and now he's fine. I have also started giving them Tripe sticks at around lunch time when I'm home. Mind you my lot would never turn food down though.  :shades:
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 11:07:31 PM »
I did see on Burns packaging that it does suggest to put pups on Burns adult food at 6 months. Hence, I did buy the adult (duck flavour) for Blod (we tried her on Burns for a short while but she wasn't very interested in it after being on Royal Canin). If you would like it Jo, we have a air tight container (almost full pack) of adult duck Burns that might be useful for you. We could drop it off for you. The adult Burns looks no different, just bigger pieces and obviously duck flavour. Blod is back on Royal Canin as her brother is on it, and she just seems to prefer it.
Awww thanks for that :luv:, but I am about 45mins away from you so I wouldn't dream of putting you out (aren't we having a meet up soon, perhaps we could sort something out then ;)). Personally I like Burns and she is a perfect weight at the mo and she loves it so I will be sticking with Burns for as long as she is thriving on it :blink: I should have read the packet a bit closer too I think :005: I just didn't know whether she was being greedy or was genuinely hungry bless her, will up her portions a bit I am sure that will help and then move her up to adult when I have finished this bag. love your new avatar too :luv:
Jo, Belle and Monty