Author Topic: Feeding tripe  (Read 1798 times)

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

Feeding tripe
« on: November 09, 2009, 12:57:42 AM »
I am thinking about introducing tripe into Bensons (ten weeks old ) diet. He is currently fed Origen puppy kibble and seems to be doing ok on it,his coat seems to be ok and he has put on a kilo in weight in seven days, but i have read that tripe is very good. I thought feeding kibble through the day and tripe for his last meal in the evening.
The problem is i have never fed tripe before , infact i have never even seen it.Is it best to get fresh tripe from the butchers or frozen tripe from PAH, how much should i give him, do you cook it or feed it raw,and if it makes his poo at bit runny should i persevere while he gets used to it.
Any advise would be appreciated thanks.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Re: Feeding tripe
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 01:35:30 AM »
A friend of mine has a little Westie who is a very fussy eater, so I suggested she tried him on some Forthglade minced Tripe......not thinking about, when I next saw her she said he absolutely loved it, but boy did it stink  ph34r  I forgot to tell her to feed it raw  :020:  The smell must have been absolutely horrendous.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 08:34:40 AM »
I would get the frozen minced tripe blocks - not sure if many butchers sell it these days but human tripe is different as it is bleached for fussy human eyes.  ::)  The frozen blocks are easy and convenient too.  ;)  Doggy tripe is untreated and still green/grey in colour.  I wouldn't feed it every day though as it is known for being good for bulking up doggies that need to put on weight - it is good for building muscle.  I am sure your pup will love it though.  :D  Feed it raw definitely unless you want your house to stink - if you feed it raw it is not too bad :005:  Coco has hers raw with some pulped veg added and she loves it  :luv:
Julie and Watson

Offline Marina and Saartje

• www.cockerandfriends.nl
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 09:33:59 AM »
In small amount it's not harmfull to feed it every day but if you feed a whole meal it's to much to give it every day. Once a week is enough.
One tip don't give it in the evening, you don't know how her tummy will react and there's a little chance you can get out of your bed because of diarrhea.
greetings,
Marina, Saartje and Teun

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 09:40:35 AM »
Butchers tripe is no good for dogs its bleached and scalded and therefore in the prcess some of its qualities have been removed / reduced. Raw green tripe is best, and the easiest place to get it is PAH in the frozen section. It stinks, just defrost and give some to dog (uncooked). Make sure you can either keep the rest frozen or keep in an airtight container or another fridge as you'll be walking round with a peg on your nose otherwise.
You could buy dried tripe in a packet first as dog treats. (They smell just as bad as the tripe so be warned). On a serious note it is an excellent food for your dogs health a nd welbeing but can be fatty so need to restrict with a podgy dog.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 12:38:06 AM »
Thanks you for your help  :D.I think i will try the frozen tripe from PAH, last time i was in there i saw some large bags and some smaller 400g blocks so i will start with a couple of the smaller blocks and see how we go.Hope it doesn't smell that bad :005:.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 08:13:09 AM »
Hope it doesn't smell that bad :005:.

It doesn't smell too bad unless you cook it :020: Coco has hers outside and it is only in the bowl for about 5 seconds anyway, so it is not a problem  :005:

Good luck - I am sure your pup will love it  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 09:04:42 AM »
In small amount it's not harmfull to feed it every day but if you feed a whole meal it's to much to give it every day. Once a week is enough.

Tripe us a very healthy and nutritious food and can be fed fulltime. I k ow quite a few working kenneled collies and also lurchers who are fed mainly tripe and it's the only thing that keeps weight on them. For the average pet dog it would probably make them obese though!

I feed half a block of the pah stuff to each cocker.

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.