Author Topic: Fresh Fruit allowed what to avoid  (Read 2045 times)

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
Fresh Fruit allowed what to avoid
« on: January 17, 2010, 03:05:18 PM »
I am really trying to start my diet and loose the weight I have put on over the festive season.  I have a big tuperware full of diced up fresh fruit in the fridge to nibble on and as charlie neary sits on my head to get his share I was wondering what apart from grapes he shouldnt have.  Is fresh pineapple, oranges, apples ok for him to have a piece all in moderation of course dont want to give him the diawotsit.   
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline jann

• Site Member
Re: Fresh Fruit allowed what to avoid
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 03:14:52 PM »
The only fruits I don't give are grapes,which includes raisins and sultanas.

They love all other fruits, eg apple, orange, pear, banana, strawberries,raspberries, melon and pineapple. Also all raw (and cooked) veg

including carrot, swede, sprouts, broccoli, cabbage but not raw potato (although this is ok cooked) !

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 03:15:29 PM »
Those are all ok, although Tilly the walking stomach is the only one of my lot who will eat oranges :005: They all love apple, banana, pear, melon etc.

Fruit wise the ones to avoid are grapes, raisins and sultanas. Apple and pear pips and other fruit stones contain very low levels of cyanide but the dog would have to crunch them up and ingest a lot of them for it to do them any harm.

Posted at the same time as Jann!
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 03:18:43 PM »
Great thanks I knew about the grape, raisin sultana, he also like all raw carrot, etc didnt know about raw potato so no more of that whenh I am peeling the spuds.  he usually sits on my feet in the kitchen when I am peeking veggies so I wont forget to give him a peice,.  Just wanted to make sure fresh pineapple which is my favourite is ok for charlie. 
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 03:20:03 PM »
I need to take more time when I am typing spelling was awful on last post.
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition

Offline tigs71

• Evie's Cake Design
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 03:48:42 PM »
Mason loves all of the above but his faves are celery, carrots and pears  :D
Elaine & Mason X

Offline tots

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 10:25:25 AM »
jet loves fruit and veg, my oldest two wont touch it, jets favourites are raw sprouts :D

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 11:06:49 AM »
Charlie will eat any kind of fruit anf veg.  We always thought he loved bananas until I lost my oldie girl Belle ESS in September as they would queue up to get a piece of banana when hubby was making his all bran and banana.  Since my angel belle left us Charlie spits out or ignores his piece so we rekon he never liked banana at all and only queued up for his piece in case he was missing something that Belle wanted. After 10years together we find out the boy never ever liked banana.
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 11:10:34 AM »
Look at all these doggies getting their five-a-day!! Mine have Apple and Carrot and a few other bits and pieces when I'm preparing lunch/dinner. Rio will eat ANYTHING..except mushrooms (unless cooked, then she'll eat'um!). With the Bunnies and Chickens up the garden there isn't much spare though for the doggies!!  :005:

Offline Bounty

• Poppy, Maggie and Hamish all at rainbow bridge
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 02:44:18 PM »
jet loves fruit and veg, my oldest two wont touch it, jets favourites are raw sprouts :D

do they make her fart? :005:
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.

Hamish - My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet.

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 12:05:57 AM »
Figs and cherries are on my list not to feed as well. ??  (Glad you made me get my list out as I was eating dried figs t'other night and gave the dogs one apiece.)

Offline tillydog

• Site Member
  • Rommel & Lady
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 01:28:08 PM »
Lady loves cucumber, capsicum, carrot, iceburg lettuce, watermelon (seedless variety), apple (sliced and peeled) and occasionally depending on her mood a little bit of mango!

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 02:22:20 PM »
My two will eat anything but I try not to give them too much fruit as I'm concerned about the natural sugar and acids in a lot of fruit affecting their teeth (I'm not a person that cleans my dogs teeth, I leave them to it with sticks and bones etc) so that would be my only caution - veg is a lot safer for their teeth.

However, at the moment I am popping a few bits of pineapple in with their kibble as seemingly, it has an enzyme that can help them digest things more thoroughly and should help discourage any poo eating - i.e. they shouldn't have an urge to eat things twice to get the most from it. My darling Weim discovered the joys of frozen poo with all the snow recently, a habit she's never had before so I'm hoping to break it before I have to ban her from the house :020: :020: ::)

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 03:13:44 PM »
My darling Weim discovered the joys of frozen poo with all the snow recently, a habit she's never had before so I'm hoping to break it before I have to ban her from the house :020: :020: ::)

Iwww, never again!! Roxy used to do that delightful habit when she was a pup  >:D You can really go off'em when they do things like that can't you! Pineapple didn't work for her, I found a product online that worked well, it meant adding a tablet to all of their dinners for about a fortnight and it stopped alltogether. I think it was Brewers Yeast that was in them? Not 100% sure though - would have to check. Hope you get it sorted soon  :D

Offline ginnygirl

• Bella
    • http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt207/ginnygirl_album/adc60ac1.jpg
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 03:19:55 PM »
Ginny loves her fruit and veg...sits on my feet whilst I'm chopping in the kitchen; she is flinging a carrot all over the living room as we speak and having little nibbles after chasing it  :005:
Julie