Author Topic: Can any of you recommend a good and yummy food that isn't too pricey?  (Read 4443 times)

Offline max2011

Re: Can any of you recommend a good and yummy food that isn't too pricey?
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2012, 10:06:10 AM »
Nicola81 - glad you asked that question as Max is on jwb turkey and rice and I would like to give him different flavours for variety. Think I will start with lamb and rice for one meal and see if it affects him.

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2012, 10:24:10 AM »
Bob is raw feed this is his dinner

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2012, 10:36:33 AM »
How about a wet food....like Naturediet or Natures Menu. It's cooked but all natural ingredients, and these type of foods tend to appeal more as they smell good. Complete and balanced, if you're worried, so takes the stress out of feeding fresh food.

This is the route I've just decided to take. Archie was weaned on Naturediet and JWB but the kibble was going straight through him. I tried several other kibbles but he was just eating the meat so I figured why bother with expensive kibble if I'm just throwing it away? Now he's a wet food only pup and loving it. (Poos are perfect too!) His favourite is actually Wainwrights trays. Cheaper than Naturediet, ingredients look good (no nasties!) and he LOVES it. A happy accident of PAH being out of puppy Naturediet for weeks over Christmas.

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2012, 10:57:22 AM »
It maybe a good idea to start to clean his teeth or use something like plaque off
if he is just having wet food  ;)

Offline Nicola81

• Dexter
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2012, 11:03:49 AM »
Started to introduce JWB Turkey and Rice this morning, mixed in with his Orijen.  I was suprised because he ate the dry food no fussing all in one go.  That is the first time he has done that in about a month!  I am hoping he will love the James Lovely Jubbly so much he will eat dry all the time and not be such of a fuss pot!  Meal times are hard work!  

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole"

Offline Nicola81

• Dexter
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2012, 11:05:19 AM »
Nicola81 - glad you asked that question as Max is on jwb turkey and rice and I would like to give him different flavours for variety. Think I will start with lamb and rice for one meal and see if it affects him.

Would be interesting to hear how he gets on! 

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole"

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2012, 11:14:07 AM »
I've just changed Odie on to JWB Lamb which he adores (he scoffed the duck one too).  I've gone the opposite way with price - was paying £9 for a 15kg Dr John's Silver to £35 for JWB lamb ph34r  His poos however have never been so good, so for that alone it's worth the cost :lol2:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2012, 11:21:52 AM »
It maybe a good idea to start to clean his teeth or use something like plaque off

I feed only wet food and I give Ollie a stagbar. His teeth are all white. He had been fed dry for the first 3 years of his life, and his teeth were covered in plaque. 3 weeks of having a stagbar to chew, they were all white, and have stayed white.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2012, 11:37:21 AM »
This is the route I've just decided to take. Archie was weaned on Naturediet and JWB but the kibble was going straight through him. I tried several other kibbles but he was just eating the meat so I figured why bother with expensive kibble if I'm just throwing it away? Now he's a wet food only pup and loving it. (Poos are perfect too!) His favourite is actually Wainwrights trays. Cheaper than Naturediet, ingredients look good (no nasties!) and he LOVES it. A happy accident of PAH being out of puppy Naturediet for weeks over Christmas.

I have a very fussy girl who I moved onto wet food a few months ago - Nature Diet at first which she liked for a while then went off of, so changed her onto Wainright's and I just can't believe the difference  :o. I have never seen her so excited by food before, it's unbelievable. She practically does cartwheels to her food bowl at meal times :005:. I just hope she keeps it up!

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2012, 01:34:26 PM »

I feed only wet food and I give Ollie a stagbar. His teeth are all white. He had been fed dry for the first 3 years of his life, and his teeth were covered in plaque. 3 weeks of having a stagbar to chew, they were all white, and have stayed white.

oh well thats fab news... Bob has 2 stagbars but has not taken to them

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2012, 02:04:10 PM »
My pooches aren't worked though - Alfie my working strain is just a house pet...he gets 2 hours walking per day...and Amber my cockapoo gets the same amount of walking...would they be bouncing off the walls on skinners? Looking at Harringtons, anyone got any opinions on that?

Ruby was on Beta puppy when we brought her home, I wasn't too keen on that, so after doing a bit of research gradually changed her onto Arden Grange which she seemed to like and was doing well on. After a few months she seemed to go off it and was just picking at her food. We tried a couple of different foods before trying Harringtons. She loved it from day 1 and is doing well on it. She is now 14 months and was spayed in November. Recently she has started to put on a little bit of weight so I have cut back slightly on the amount I feed her. She still loves it and is thriving.
Lynn

Offline louise1608

• Facebook
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2012, 03:05:19 PM »
Thanks very much lynn! I have ordered a small bag with my weekly shop which will come tomorrow ill keep you all informed hopefully they will like it!

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2012, 11:09:53 PM »
Another Skinners Duck & Rice here, I get it for £17 a bag from our local kennels, so no delivery cost added.

Offline Snoopy

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2012, 08:25:57 AM »
After hearing good reports of Chappie I thought I'd give it a try......just finishing off a £38 sack of JWB to try a £16 bag of Chappie!

Wish me luck......

Offline annie59

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2012, 11:18:24 AM »
Good luck with the Chappie, that seems a good price, i will have a look at that one my self, my one and only Cocker Bailey is on Beta puppy at the moment, hes seems ok on ,but is always looking for more, ive used it before  with my other dogs,my older dogs are on half and half wagg and  wet meat.  I have to feed them all seperately to stop Bailey from eating it all,Im always looking to save money where i can.I am looking for a food thats easily digestible and one that helps our doggies have   minimal poops.will  be grateful for your news on the Chappie xx