Author Topic: Bananas anyone?....Update - and dried ones too!  (Read 8460 times)

Offline tillydog

• Site Member
  • Rommel & Lady
Re: Bananas anyone?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 08:42:37 AM »
Lady loves cucumber, capsicum, Carrot, apple slices. Have tried her with a bit of banana before, but she kinda chewed it and spat it out!  >:(

Offline HeatherandBenjy

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 09:25:33 AM »
What age would you start to give a puppy any of these fruits?  At the moment I am being really careful and just giving her the complete food and scrambled egg for breakfast.  I would love to start introducing some other foods but don't want to risk  her having the runs :lol:

I think the key to introducing any foods is to do it very gradually and not give too much. For example I'll cut up an apple, but it will be shared between six dogs (with small pieces taken off for the cockatiels and hamster).

Some dogs don't like fruit and veg (Milo usually gives a look of disgust if I offer him fruit  ;)) but others like it. Naturally dogs would scavenge anything and a couple of mine will quite happily eat whole pieces of fruit with no ill effects. For your puppy though, just small pieces to start off with  ;)
Heather, Buddy, Archie, Fizzy, Bruno and Amber!

Offline Birdie Wife

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 10:04:13 AM »
Cari doesn't eat a lot of fruit of veg (unless Dh gives it to her off his plate  ph34r) but bananas are the exception - she absolutely loves them! Unfortunately for her, so do my hens, and if I'm chucking bits of nana for the chooks, she waits patiently for her bit with those puppy dog sad eyes!

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 11:00:16 AM »
Bananas prove to be the only fruit that Maisie is interested in. Apple, orange, strawberries, blackberries etc, etc get the pursed lips and doggie equivalent of a look of digust! Veg seems more her thing. Carrots, broccoli and squash are floating her boat  :005:

It's funny - years ago when we had our very first dog (back in the dark ages :005:), if someone had said that a dog might like fruit and veg, I would have baulked at the idea. It just didn't seem to be 'done' back then or certainly wasn't talked about.

After our last cocker went over the bridge though, chopping the carrots in the kitchen took on a whole new meaning. For years afterwards I'd automatically turn looking for the little face waiting patiently for their piece only to see that empty space at my feet  :'(. I didn't realise just how much I missed it until our surprise new hoover visitor arrived  :luv:

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 11:22:35 AM »
For 10 years we always thought Charlie liked banana as when OH had cereal he would put a sliced up banana on top.  We had Belle our ESS then and both Charlie and Belle would get a share of the communal banana before it went on the cereal.  Strange thing is when we lost Belle 2 years ago Charlie stopped eating banana just spits it out now.  We think he never did like it he only ate it cose Belle liked it and he did not want to miss out on anything.    He does relish all other fresh fruit apple, oranges, fresh pineapple etc.  He does love grapes but does not get them now so whenever I want to eat a grape I have hide or eat it when he aint looking  :lol2:
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 11:34:41 AM »
"eat it when he's not looking"  How on earth do you manage that !! :rofl1:

Kez sits very nice & quite when either of us have banana, :banana: apple or clementine because she know some of it will come her way.
She also sits by the sink when I am preparing food (not quite so good though  :005:)   She will try anything I am prepared to give her, the only thing I can remember her not accepting is parsnip, I would have thought it was similar to carrot which she loooooves  :cool4:
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline Clare B

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 11:35:03 AM »
That's it I'm going to give Flo some banana! She loves carrots (gave them out of the fridge to her when she was teething, and she still loves them), she loves beans,frozen peas, apples to nibble, won't go near broccoli .... But my cat loves! Loves ! Broccoli  :huh:

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 11:40:50 AM »
That's it I'm going to give Flo some banana! She loves carrots (gave them out of the fridge to her when she was teething, and she still loves them), she loves beans,frozen peas, apples to nibble, won't go near broccoli .... But my cat loves! Loves ! Broccoli  :huh:

Oh yes, I forgot, she likes the odd peas and french beans too  :lol2:

......I must tell my son to try his gorgeous but picky eater rescue cat on broccoli, as long has he doesn't hold me responsible for any 'results'  :005:

Offline Clare B

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 11:43:44 AM »
The only "result I've seen from Lu(cat) is satisfaction and purring ;)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 11:47:26 AM »
I have a non fruit n veg loving cocker here - have tried him on different things over the past 2 years but the only thing he'll eat is a small piece of cooked carrot off hubby's plate at teatime :shades:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 12:03:34 PM »
I have a non fruit n veg loving cocker here - have tried him on different things over the past 2 years but the only thing he'll eat is a small piece of cooked carrot off hubby's plate at teatime :shades:

Rodaidh's the same, if he's offered any kind of fruit or vegetable other than the occasional bit of cooked carrot or potato he'll take it gingerly (because he's scared of missing out on anything the other two are getting) but he'll then spit it out and look at you in a 'right ok I took that but now give me something I can actually eat' manner :005:  Tilly on the other hand loves fruit, apple is her all-time favourite treat, although she can't really have it now because of her IBD and Caoimhe will eat literally anything, I don't know if she actually 'likes' stuff or not because she operates an 'inhale first think later' policy at all times.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 12:22:17 PM »
My 2 like bananas but unfortunately Disney takes it one step further and eats banana skins - I never realised just how many banana skins get discarded outside until I had to pull one out of Disneys bum and then I became a lot more observant  ph34r

His absolute favourite is kiwi  :shades:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Linda B

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 04:51:27 PM »
My two love cucumber and celery, they won't touch apples. My previous two used to love carrots and butternut squash.

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 05:13:29 PM »
My two love cucumber and celery, they won't touch apples. My previous two used to love carrots and butternut squash.

Mmm, celery, not tried celery, will have to give that a go.

Offline Liz F

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 05:52:08 PM »
I never realised just how many banana skins get discarded outside until I had to pull one out of Disneys bum and then I became a lot more observant  ph34r

:rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:  Sorry

My two love bananas, apples, carrot, broccoli etc etc etc, actually come to think about it they love everything  :005: :005: :005:

Liz, Olli & Diesel xx