Author Topic: Would you say anything...  (Read 2643 times)

Offline jaybee

• Donator
Would you say anything...
« on: August 24, 2012, 07:16:27 PM »
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section mods. Wasn't sure where it belonged.

I was in PAH last week and saw a woman and her teenage daughter buying Bakers puppy food. This time 12 months ago this would have had absolutely no affect on me whatsoever. The woman then went to the assistant an asked if she could recommend anything to help as her pup has extremely itchy skin and runny eyes. I was so close to going over and suggesting the food might be the problem.

And then today of Facebook someone was offering a free bag of Bakers they had barely used (dog didn't like it). This time I've tried to explain, in the politest way possible, why it isn't great.

Question is.... Would you say something if you saw/overheard someone buying the stuff? I don't want to stick my nose in anyone else's business and it is up to everyone to make their own decisions regarding their dog. But I know I had no idea about how bad it was before I joined COL and read up a bit.

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline maddy74

Re: Would you say anything...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 07:19:50 PM »
Yes I probably would say something. What did they say at PAH to her?

I just think that if it were me and I didnt know I would want to be informed  ;)

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 07:27:12 PM »
The assistant took her to the grooming section and got the woman to buy lots of sensitive shampoos and tear stain removers etc. I so wish I'd said something.

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 07:39:06 PM »
Yes, I would have said something. I have on occasions.
A lot of people don't know. Some might take offence but tough  :lol2:
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 07:40:33 PM »
Same as Julie.....only it was something the vet sold ph34r. I caught her in the car park and told her of several other foods. What she did with the info I have no idea but I felt better! :005:
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 07:45:49 PM »
Definitely I'd say something, and I have done on many occassions.  I'd have loved decent advice when we first got dogs.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 08:12:53 PM »
I would have said something, but you can't turn the clock back. I have overheard shop assistants telling women that the outfit they are trying on looks fabulous! I have said excuse me but you don't suit that etc etc.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline lollie

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 11:01:30 PM »
What is wrong with Bakers?

My old dog was fed on Bakers, it was the only thing she would eat! (Apart from cat food and human food!)

xx

Offline Becky87

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 11:11:29 PM »
It's meant to be full of rubbish but my mums dog has been on it since she was a pup, she's now ten and very healthy considering the reviews on it.

Poppy

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 11:12:16 PM »
What is wrong with Bakers?

My old dog was fed on Bakers, it was the only thing she would eat! (Apart from cat food and human food!)

xx

It's one of the worst out there, with cheap, poor quality ingredients, useless fillers and nasty additives. I will admit I used to feed it to Barney at one point ph34r and wish I knew then what I know now. I am sure a lot of dogs do ok on it, but it's not something I'd ever recommend or feed Brodie.

I am quite shy, but I think I would say something.

Edit, a couple of links:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=424&cat=7

http://www.pet-food-choice.co.uk/Review_Bakers_Dog_Food.htm

x In memory of Barney x

Offline lollie

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 11:35:41 PM »
It's meant to be full of rubbish but my mums dog has been on it since she was a pup, she's now ten and very healthy considering the reviews on it.

My dog was on it for years, it was the only thing she would eat. She was slightly overweight, but not much, and had awful breath, but I put it down to all the treats I used to give her, things I shouldn't really  ph34r

She had none of the other things being listed though, hyper, aggression etc. She lived to a good age of 14, and had a very happy life :)

Thanks for the links Jenny.

xx

Offline praia

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 05:26:10 AM »

My dog was on it for years, it was the only thing she would eat. She was slightly overweight, but not much, and had awful breath, but I put it down to all the treats I used to give her, things I shouldn't really.

xx

The awful breath was probably because of the sugars in the food, which really has no business being in dog food at all. 

Some dogs do fine on low quality foods, but most owners tend to feed these foods because they honestly don't know any better. If people had the information to make better choices, I'm sure many would choose the better quality food.  My JRT spent the first 8 years of his life eating Kibble 'n Bits, which is godawful "food".  His previous owner didn't know any better and honestly could have cared less.  The dog came to us in good physical condition except for the awful condition of his teeth and his terrible breath (again the unnecessary sugars).

Generally I don't offer up advice about food to strangers unless they ask, as most people seem to get so worked up about this topic. 

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 07:32:16 AM »
Jenny, those links are really useful, thanks. Our dogs are on Burns but there are some interesting alternatives on there.

Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 08:03:38 AM »
the itchy skin comment would have made me comment, i dont care if some people dont appreciate it , some people do  :D and if it hepled one dog who cares , I would have said something like " excuse me i couldnt help but over hear and my dog had a similar problem and i was advised to switch to a hypoallergenic food like jameswellbeloved and it was the best thing i did, it helped my dogs skin after a couple of weeks "  and take it from there , My Ella came to me on Bakers fat and with raw red patches where she chewed herself between her toes and in her sweaty bits  ph34r and within a couple of weeks they cleared up and she has never had them again  ;)
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline lettie10

• Jazz & Bailey
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 08:15:37 AM »
Slightly off the original topic but having read quite a few feeding threads it appears to me that alot of puppies seem to be being weaned on to food that is not considered "good quality", (my newest pup was weaned on to Bakers but changed to JWB before collection due to runny poos). This pup came from a KC Assured Breeder Scheme Breeder!

Why would some breeders not giving a good quality food from the start.  I understand that not all food suits all dogs but a good start must count for something as having to change a pups food can cause its own problems.

I am not having a go at the breeders but it seems to me that the ingredients in commercial food are widely available and would be taken into account.
"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."