Author Topic: Wiggins - very 'loose' poo  (Read 764 times)

Offline KathyS

Wiggins - very 'loose' poo
« on: August 31, 2012, 05:40:58 PM »
Hi, hoping for some advice...

Wiggins is 11 1/2 weeks old, show cocker. For the last 4 days he has had loose stools (sorry for the description, but they range from slightly soft, through 'mr whippy' type (losing their shape) to even looser ones which he deposits in a line across the garden. He also had one liquid poo yesterday, according to my OH, I didn't witness it myself.

He is on Nature's diet puppy food (40g) and JBW puppy kibble (60g) 3 x daily, which he eats, but not always all - and I have been leaving down for a while (maybe an hour, though less on warmer days), as I'm keen for him to be eating enough. Not finishing it all is not new though - it's been the same way since he arrived at 8 weeks. He's drinking well, seems fine in himself, but very chewy!

The only thing of note is that I wormed him on Tuesday (but the loose stools started before). I also caught him with a slug in his mouth the other day, I got it away from him, but am fairly sure that it's not the only time he's had one as they are everywhere at the mo, even though I try to find them before he does.

I was thinking of giving him boiled rice and chicken tonight and seeing if this helps. Do you chaps think this is the right route to take? How much longer would you give it before consulting the vet??

Thanks...a slightly worried, but trying not to overreact, Kathy

Offline karendorman13

Re: Wiggins - very 'loose' poo
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 05:48:52 PM »
Kol is on nature diet and pro plan and his stools get looser during the day. I am considering trying wainwrights puppy wet food to see if that helps, if not i might just go all dry because his poo after breakfast is solid (sorry) and its easy to lift. I gave Kol some poached chicken and rice last week when he got really loose and i bought some natural goats milk probiotic yogurt from morrisons and mixed this in too to his meals for 2 days to was about 80p and he loved it.

Offline KathyS

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 06:17:14 PM »
Thanks Karen,

I think I'll try him on the chicken and rice tonight (too late to pop out for yoghurt now) and see how he is in the morning. He has had cooked chicken on a couple of occasions as a tidbit - I know he loves it - my only only fear is he won't want to go back to his own food afterwards!

It's a nightmare this 'getting it right' puppy stuff!

Kathy

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 06:32:24 PM »
Have you recently changed his food or added anything extra to what he was having at his breeders?

We changed our pups onto JWB after being on royal canin, JWB gave them all runny bums so changed back to RC and back to perfect poops!

Love the name by the way  :blink:

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 06:36:43 PM »
Hi Kathy my 2 are now 18months old but when they were pups I had them on JWB puppy food and the same thng happened to them  >:( always had runny poos.
So I changed them on to food from the natural dog food company and haven't looked back  ;) x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 08:03:41 PM »
There seems to be a lot of this about at the moment. Archie was weaned on nature diet and JWB and his poos were very loose. I changed to RC and he firmed up but his behaviour got worse. Had a bit of a struggle finding a food he would eat but eventually changed to Wainrights wet which he loves. He's one now and still doing brilliantly on it.