Author Topic: Would you say anything...  (Read 2642 times)

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
Re: Would you say anything...
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 11:36:59 AM »
IMO I think it comes down on the most part to what pria says: the breeders not knowing any better. Either that or they are motivated by money and are going for the cheapest available... It's one of those things that would make me decide whether to go with a breeder or not.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Liz F

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2012, 03:14:06 PM »
Yes I would have said something and have done in the past, PAH do have nutritionists in stores and if assistant was inexperienced should have sought nutritionists advise

Liz, Olli & Diesel xx

Offline Chezer

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2012, 04:03:46 PM »
I wouldn't say anything it's up to them what they feed their dogs, there seems to be a load of people that are food snobs now in the dog world. Might be that they are feeding bakers because that is all they can afford but don't love their dog anyless  then what we do.
Archie 4/9/2009

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2012, 04:23:39 PM »
I don't think it is being a food snob at all. I just thought maybe they didn't know  :dunno: I sure as heck didn't.

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 04:34:45 PM »
I would casually maybe mention that "a friend" dog had similar problems to her dogs skin ailments and also say funnily enough the dog was also on bakers and when changed there was a noticable difference.
I wouldnt be lying as my friends bichon frise actually was changed from bakers and has been less itchy. So could tell her from first hand experience.

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 05:13:14 PM »
This subject is really close to home atm....my poorly (terminally ill) friend has been feeding her 2 cockers on Bakers.
They both have had itchy skin  :'(  Her OH took them to the vets & the vet gave them anti inflammatory injections but thankfully advised it could be their food.
When i spoke to them i also said it might be the Bakers causing the itchy skin.  I am so pleased to say they have now changed to Arden Grange & the itchy skin has gone.  :luv:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2012, 05:16:29 PM »
This subject is really close to home atm....my poorly (terminally ill) friend has been feeding her 2 cockers on Bakers.
They both have had itchy skin  :'(  Her OH took them to the vets & the vet gave them anti inflammatory injections but thankfully advised it could be their food.
When i spoke to them i also said it might be the Bakers causing the itchy skin.  I am so pleased to say they have now changed to Arden Grange & the itchy skin has gone.  :luv:

I'm pleased they've found something that helps them Ninasmum.

:bigarmhug: to you.

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline praia

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2012, 08:34:54 PM »
I wouldn't say anything it's up to them what they feed their dogs, there seems to be a load of people that are food snobs now in the dog world. Might be that they are feeding bakers because that is all they can afford but don't love their dog anyless  then what we do.

Being informed about appropriate and healthy food choices for dogs and wanting to share that information with others doesn't necessarily make someone a food snob.  Many people honestly don't know what are good quality ingredients. 

Price also doesn't determine the quality of a food. When I have to feed kibble my JRT is fed an inexpensive, but good quality food.  Many vet pushed or grocery store brands are far more expensive, but have inferior quality ingredients.  It's the marketing that makes them expensive, not the quality of the ingredients.  There are many choices for consumers, but people first must have the knowledge to make the right choices.

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2012, 08:47:53 AM »
I dont think you are right about people being food snobs and anyway there are plenty of cheaper foods on the market than Bakers , why do people assume its so much cheaper , i would rather mine be on chappie (having done lots of research on the subject) than bakers , its like giving your kids a McD****d and chips every day of their lives , not healthy IMHO
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2012, 11:45:17 AM »
I agree, don't know how people could be thought of as food snobs for wanting to provide people with other, better options :dunno:. Especially if their dog was suffering from allergies or other health issues.

Yes I would have said something and have done in the past, PAH do have nutritionists in stores and if assistant was inexperienced should have sought nutritionists advise

There was someone on here who went to the PAH nutritionist and they seemed pretty clueless ph34r and offered them a poor quality brand simply because it was one of their most popular. Can't remember the thread or who it was, but it wasn't so long ago.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2012, 11:54:23 AM »
Normally you find  that with cheaper foods you use so much more of them, per daily feed that they become dearer than the better brands.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Chocolate Hero

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2012, 02:18:52 PM »
I once said something to a lady in the pet feed store who was about to buy bakers for a dog with itchy skin. explained that we have similar,  She was very understanding, was happy to pay more & was just lacking knowledge in what feeds are out there so went was going to go with brand she had heard of. She went & put the bakers back & got a good quality hypoallergenic to try.
Run Free my little Laddie xxx

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 05:56:55 PM »
I

Price also doesn't determine the quality of a food. When I have to feed kibble my JRT is fed an inexpensive, but good quality food.  Many vet pushed or grocery store brands are far more expensive, but have inferior quality ingredients.  It's the marketing that makes them expensive, not the quality of the ingredients.  There are many choices for consumers, but people first must have the knowledge to make the right choices.

I'd be interested to know which "inexpensive, but good quality" kibble you feed your JRT - problem is there are a lot of us out there (me included!) that don't actually know what is good quality and what isn't  :005:

Offline black taz

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 05:59:15 PM »
I'm always poking my nose in, especially with food.  I fed Taz on bakers when i first had him so have first hand experience of how bad it is for the dogs.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2012, 06:43:24 PM »
If looking for the best food my the girls makes me a food snob then I'm a food snob!

I do think the delivery of advice is key here.
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe