Author Topic: Smegma? Leaking puppy...  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
Smegma? Leaking puppy...
« on: September 18, 2018, 08:07:34 AM »
Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this ....

My puppy Cooper is 6 months tomorrow and for the past 3 weeks he's been leaking a yellowish/green discharge from his penis.  I thought he may have picked up an infection so took him to my Vet. She  said it's Smegma...a fluid consisting of dead cells, pus and fluid, some males get it just before puberty.

I'm putting this on here as I'm concerned  there seems to be a lot of it, it's on his belly feathering and even down his back legs...his coat is stiff with it and it smells awful!!  I'm cleaning him up, brushing it out, he's cleaning it up...but there's always more. Not pleasant stuff at all.

Out of the 3 males I've had Cooper is the only one to have this leakage. Anyone else experienced this? Would appreciate knowing how long it's liable to go on for....and I'm beginning to think it may well be infection, even though my Vet says it's not.

Thanks appreciated.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Smegma? Leaking puppy...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 08:59:46 AM »
Has the vet taken a sample to check for infection? Humphrey had a similar thing, although nothing like as excessive as you describe, our groomer at the time noticed it and she showed me how to rinse it with a syringe and hydrogen peroxide. It did seem to do the trick although my vet wasn?t happy abput the hydrogen peroxide and suggested camomile or other mild disenfectant. He also mentioned that it happens when there?s a bitch in season somewhere near, but I think after three weeks it might be wise to have it looked at more closely!
Hope it clears up soon, I agree its not very pleasant!

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 09:40:07 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Cooper sleeps on my bed and I noticed it's even on the sheet this morning...yuk!! No my Vet didn't take any swabs ect  ...and I think maybe it's time she did, though it annoys me a bit she didn't do that in the first place when I told her how much of this discharge there was.

I'll make another appointment and pop him back down.
Thanks Bizzylizzie

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 07:51:22 PM »
Update....took Cooper to the Vet this afternoon, saw another Vet mine on holiday.

It is Smegma, no infection present and is liable to be a life long problem. Vet said it sometimes eases with castration,  but I'm not having Cooper castrated as I don't believe in stripping young dogs of their hormones...they need testosterone to mature.  So looks like I have years of washing Cooper down and putting up with this damned awful smell!! Lol

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 08:18:48 PM »
 Good heavens, that doesn?t sound very encouraging. I wonder if its worth looking at alternative treatments or homeopathy?  Maybe someone else on here will have some other advice but I hope you can find a solution , without castration!