Author Topic: Scotland midge repellent for dogs  (Read 1964 times)

Offline pa.wilkins

Scotland midge repellent for dogs
« on: July 31, 2023, 11:13:25 AM »
Hello

We're going camping in Mull in a week's time with our 12 year old cocker, Dexter. I've spent a lot of time researching  midge repellent for me and my husband - we're using Smidge, but also taking Avon So Soft and Incognito... just to make sure we have all the options just in case...

I forgot completely to consider Dexter.   He will have had his flea/ tick treatment.  But I'm thinking we really need a midge repellent for him - has anyone any suggestions please?

Also, we have a 3 berth tent and we have him next to us in the sleep compartment in his bed... I'm thinking his coat could be covered in them and he'll bring them into the sleeping compartment with us...Ahhhh!

I'm beginning to think this was not a good idea....

Has anyone got any tips/ ideas please - things that have worked for you?  Thanks so much

Paula

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: Scotland midge repellent for dogs
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2023, 06:39:28 PM »
The Avon skin so soft should work for him too. Lots of people use it for their horses and I have got some for my alpacas  ;)

Maybe take some incense sticks to burn in the tent - should repel them too
Julie and Watson

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2023, 07:31:48 PM »
We live in Scotland, and have camped, had a caravan and a campervan, for about fifty years, and have always had our dogs with us (at one time we had five Scottie’s, altogether in a caravan - that was fun 😵‍💫).  Have never had a problem with midges on the dogs, and we never used any sprays on them, apart from their usual flea and tick treatments. The midges were probably too busy enjoying my fair Sassenach skin 🤣 to want to try and get through a dog's thick coat. We are on dog number ten, and I cannot recall any of them being bitten by midges.
You could try those mosquito coils that you light. TBH we don't go to the west coast in high summer because of the midges, we go either up to May, or after September (the tree colours are wonderful). Plus it's quieter then.
Hope you have a lovely time in Mull, it's beautiful there, nicer than Skye,  we think.
Lesley
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline pa.wilkins

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2023, 08:22:41 PM »
Thank you both so much for your replies. I will have Skin So Soft with me so we'll try that out if the midges become troublesome!!