Author Topic: Anal Glands  (Read 572 times)

Offline LTMot

Anal Glands
« on: December 21, 2023, 03:03:58 PM »
Hi everyone! Just wanted to pop on here to see if anyone has any advice regarding anal glands (oh the glamour!). Our poor boy has always been a bit of a scooter - he is raw fed and normally has pretty good poops but still he ends up scooting. We've been to the vet who said some dogs are just prone to it, but at only 5 months he is quite young to be getting this and even after getting them done he tends to be back scooting within 2/3 weeks. We've upped the fibre, but still no luck. Today the vet said it could be the bone in the raw food, but I thought that was meant to help? Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated - keen to get my poor boy comfortable!

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: Anal Glands
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 08:42:00 PM »
It can be a bit of trial and error, I used weetabix for one of mine, it seemed to help, but didn't fix it.  It did however mean that he needed a vet visit less often. All bran is another option.  Like you,  I thought the bone would help.

Offline LTMot

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 08:52:16 PM »
It can be a bit of trial and error, I used weetabix for one of mine, it seemed to help, but didn't fix it.  It did however mean that he needed a vet visit less often. All bran is another option.  Like you,  I thought the bone would help.

Thanks! I'll give them a go! We did try Pro-fibre but it made the poops rock solid! I guess because they were actually quite a good consistency already!

Offline ArtyKate

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 09:11:41 PM »
My boy does get anal gland problems occasionally but sometimes he scoots because his bottoms got furry and it must get a bit itchy. Usually if I trim around it gets better. 

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 09:45:31 PM »
We were told that spaniels have a tendency for the  "tubes" to be misaligned  causing the "gunk" unable to find correct exit.  This is the problem we had with our Gemma. Eventually causing them to burst. She had hers removed in the end
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2024, 12:01:09 PM »
My rainbow girl Olive had her glands removed after years of problems. The vey who carried out the surgery said that
Her glands were very long and that they would never have been completely emptied hence the repeated infections.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010