Author Topic: Renal diet.  (Read 2725 times)

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
Renal diet.
« on: August 09, 2018, 08:19:34 PM »
Bea is a complicated girl, she has Hypoparathyroidism and has been on medication and regular blood tests for the past two years.
Her latest results showed a low calcium and a high phosphorus level so they have TOLD me to start her on a renal diet, I've had a discussion with our local vet and explained that I'm not a fan of Hills etc,.

Bea is not showing any symptoms but we do know she has calcium deposits in her kidneys so I believe this is to protect her as much as possible.

Any suggestion for a good food that is not RAW ?

A slightly stressed Sharon.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Re: Renal diet.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 11:01:01 PM »
It’s difficult! 
 Wet food is a must to help the kidneys.  Bobby had a kidney problem, protein losing nephropathy PLN). And found the Hills and Royal Canin disgusting, they are very bland. My vet gave me some recipes for home made, again  bland, and you can google more.   There is a Yahoo Kidney Group, which I joined, but it is US based and I didn’t find it helpful because all their  meds, test results etc  are in different values and scales, and recipes all done in cup measures!   Except eggs.
The vets’ prescription foods are ridiculously overpriced when it’s mostly rice,  so the PDSA vets were delighted when I donated my leftovers to them.
If I find out any more I will pm you.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline its.sme

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 08:00:23 AM »
Hi Phoenix,

Thank you.

Bea is showing no symptoms at all so we know that we have found it very early, I have reluctantly put her on Hills KD thinking that it would be a struggle to get her to eat it.

Not for the first time she has made me out to be a lier as she cleaned the bowl  :005:

I would prefer her not to eat anything that has the word Derivative  >:D  in it but until I can find an alternative diet for her it will have to do.

Sharon.

Offline fionad

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 06:19:30 PM »
When our old girl was diagnosed with kidney problems we looked up recipes and made our own food. Penny loved lamb patties. I would make a batch and freeze them. She lived until she was 14 and died of something totally unrelated to her kidney illness.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 05:15:16 PM »
I know you dont want to feed raw, but Jinley is on a Nutriment low purine wet food as she is prone to urate crystals.  I joined a facebook group called Raw Fed Dalmations you might find it helpful.

Offline its.sme

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 05:47:09 PM »
Thanks Pat,

I am a fan of RAW and trust me if Bea didn't have her condition she would still be on it, she loved it and looked well on it.

Unfortunately it's not suitable for all but I am trying to use my RAW knowledge to give her the best food possible.

The Vets advised Hills KD wet which turns out to be 20 percent fat  >:D no wonder she loved the stuff, it must have been like eating Pate as the maximum fat she has is around 9 percent.

I've found her a lower fat renal wet food but I will still home cook for her 2-3 times a week to rest her Pancreas.
Sharon.

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 08:40:42 PM »
I'm a bit late on this post but I'll be starting a 3kg bag of Virbac Kidney kibble recommended by my vet.  You may want to research this product.  Good luck.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my boy enjoys it.