Author Topic: Reporting Spam.  (Read 858 times)

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Reporting Spam.
« on: January 13, 2007, 08:11:31 PM »
Despite resetting my spam filters I am still getting lots of spam, so have decided to try and fight back by reporting them rather than just deleting them. I have mastered the art of getting complete headers up and sorting out the correct IP address to investigate(I think :-\ ), but am having trouble understanding the information I get from plugging in the IP address to Geek Tools or Sam Spade. If there is no reportabuse email address it is not always clear which company I should Google to find one (especially the Greek/Czechoslovakian Bulgarian Chinese ones!!!).

Has anyone any experience of using SpamCop.net? I understand that if you register they will accept the headers and report to the correct ISP on your behalf and for free. Are there any problems that arise from doing this? Are they any good? Is there an alternative to SpamCop that I could just forward the spam to and know that it will be reported or are they the best? I seem to be spending half my time on line just trying to track the b****rs down  >:( and I have no wish to become a Geek  ph34r . I'd rather be on COL  ;)

I know I could always change my email address but that would be a right pain  >:(
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Re: Reporting Spam.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 11:12:39 PM »
 Can't help you with your original question but have you tried using Mailwasher, it won't stop the spam but makes it much easier to clear them.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 11:28:31 AM »
Some ISPs get rid of a lot of spam for you before it even gets to you. I went thrugh a phase when I was away for a few days and came home to find I had about 1000 spammed mail. Shortly after Virgin upgraded their system and I get very little now.

You can also report the more abusive/dodgy ones to your ISP as well --- as your ISP can track them down and deal with it for you (you have to send them the details of the properties file --- in outlook go to file then properties then details tab and then select/copy/paste the info there into an email I then sent to their 'abuse' email address)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 01:42:13 PM »
You can also report the more abusive/dodgy ones to your ISP as well --- as your ISP can track them down and deal with it for you (you have to send them the details of the properties file --- in outlook go to file then properties then details tab and then select/copy/paste the info there into an email I then sent to their 'abuse' email address)
Not if you're with Tiscali you cant  >:( . If the spam doesn't originate from one of their customers they are not interested. They emailed and told me I had to track down the offenders ISPs and report them myself. They only gave me some half baked instructions and links (in pidgin English  ::) ) when I emailed them back asking what exactly I was paying them for  >:D .

Michele thanks for the mailwasher link. It sounds as though that would be very useful. I may well use them in the future but would really like to use SpamCop or something like them if they are any good as I think that reporting them is the only way to reduce spam (yes I know it's a BIG problem ;) ) in the long term. If spam was reduced the costs to all of us would come down too.
Has no one even heard of them  :huh:
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories