Author Topic: Struggling??  (Read 2414 times)

Offline rubyduby

Struggling??
« on: August 24, 2023, 02:47:23 PM »
My old girl (13 1/2) apart from a little senility and confusion seems very reluctant to go for a walk, she gets all excited and bounces around when she knows I am going out , but once her lead is on and she is out, she slows down to a very very slow pace, cannot understand it, she is obviously capable of walking and still can hop up and down steps etc, but walking?......I have tried her on and off lead, carried her part way and set her down.....but no? anyone come across this or any ideas

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
Re: Struggling??
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2023, 03:50:15 PM »
i know you are struggling.  As your girl wants to go out but doesn’t want to actually walk, have you thought of taking the pressure off her and letting her ride in a pushchair?  You say you have been carrying her but this is not ideal as their weight seems to gradually get heavier and heavier  :005:  If she is being pushed, she can take all her surroundings in.  SHe may wish to come out for a few steps and then go back.  Some days will be better than others.  She may be feeling a little unsure of walking in unfamiliar surroundings and whilst happy to go up and down stairs at home, being out and about may be a little scary for her in her confusion.   I have noticed a lot more dogs in pushchairs for various reasons and I think it is lovely that their owners are still including them in their family trips.  :luv:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2023, 06:05:43 PM »
I have thought of a pushchair , but her eyesight isnt good , and she loves sniffing around , so she would miss out , she is being walked in areas she has walked for the last 11 yrs, so very familiar. I am keeping my eye open for a dog pram or buggy, and yes some days she is better than others, till very recently she has walked in the evenings (not interested ams) but on the last couple of days we have set off and she has gone out happily then slowed right down, so she isnt getting a walk at all,...

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2023, 08:39:56 PM »
Ollie did have something similar although I put it down to some kind of fear with his old age and health.  He would start to walk and then turn round - walk another 5 or 6 paces and turn again. It was really difficult to walk from our home. We started to take him out in the car ( difficult for me due to his weight) and he would walk better when hubby was along, but when going back to the car he would really pull then stop at the nearest car hoping it was ours.

When I didn't have the car I would walk him and jogg him along with treats and sliced carrot.  Got a bit further that way and again you turned round and he would almost pull you home.   Later on the walks sadly were just a few yards - but he loved the car and just loved to be with me.  I would look round for a push chair - we spoke to couple who had one and they used it to enable a little walk and have back up if their dog stopped walking. 
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2023, 09:03:38 PM »
Minstrel (10 years in June) can be like this too, he also suffers from stress and anxiety in strange places, so we tend to walk different ways round the same area. I keep him on an extending lead and just let him potter about. Some days are better than others in relation to how far we walk but at the moment he does ok most days. I have a reasonable sized garden so if he feels happier where he can come and go indoors/outdoors as he pleases, I don't worry too much.

Minstrel seems to use up quite a lot of energy getting excited about his forthcoming walk too, noisy critter.  :happydance: :happydance:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2023, 12:52:38 PM »
Yes it would seem a common problem with older dogs, but maybe I need to relax more, the problem is that I have a 4 1/2 yr old Cocker who makes so much noise with excitement that I struggle to creep out with her (she has much longer walks) and the older dog hears and comes out of her bed all excited, I get so guilty leaving her , have this problem daily and it really upsets me having to leave her

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2023, 04:24:51 PM »
I can’t help you much but feel for you feeling guilty taking the younger cocker out without the other.  My older one has IVDD and some days not going out at all or just 10 mins walk, whereas my 6 year old loves a good long walk.  I give the older one a lick mat to try to distract him as we leave.  I’ve bought a pushchair but not gone out yet.  Preparing for the idea that we will be having to use it soon. 

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2023, 06:12:43 PM »
I can’t help you much but feel for you feeling guilty taking the younger cocker out without the other.  My older one has IVDD and some days not going out at all or just 10 mins walk, whereas my 6 year old loves a good long walk.  I give the older one a lick mat to try to distract him as we leave.  I’ve bought a pushchair but not gone out yet.  Preparing for the idea that we will be having to use it soon.

❤️❤️