Author Topic: Jazz Has Gone to the Bridge  (Read 4653 times)

Offline AndyB

• Donator
Jazz Has Gone to the Bridge
« on: January 12, 2019, 06:39:45 AM »
Jazz my beloved boy died on Thursday morning.  As you may know from my previous post he has been deteriorating for a couple of months.  I had been preparing myself to make that awful decision since Christmas.  I am scheduled to have a hip replacement in February and knew I could not possibly care for him when I came out of hospital.  For several months I have carried him outside onto the lawn for toileting.  It was just so much easier than letting him find his own way.  Jazz has been diabetic for almost two years and as a consequence lost his eyesight around 6 months after being diagnosed.  He would have been 14 on 10th March and I know I have been lucky to keep him as long as I have, with lots of TLC and a great deal of money spent on his medication. 

He was his usual self on Thursday morning, wagging his tail as soon as I woke him.  He pestered me for his 3 tiny Lily's Kitchen biscuits while I dried my hair, he knew he had 3 and as soon as I had given him the third one he would settle down and go back to sleep.  These were the only treats I could give him now that he was diabetic.  I had sorted him out and settled him in the kitchen before I left to visit my mother-in-law in a nursing home.  I stopped off on the way home to get some eggs to try him with some scrambled eggs at lunch time as he hadn't been eating very well.  I was only away an hour and a half and when I got home I found him.  He had died whilst I was out.  Jazz was diagnosed with a heart condition three months ago and was on a lot of medication.  I think he may have had a heart attack whilst I was out.  Obviously I am beating myself up and thinking what if I hadn't gone to visit my mother in law. 

I am heartbroken and the house feels so empty without him.  I have completely lived my life around Jazz for the past 6 months.  I wouldn't go out for any length of time because I didn't want to leave him. Since I lost my husband 3 years ago he has been my saviour. 

I have been through this awful time before as I know many of you have too.  We love them so much and their lives seem to pass far too quickly.   Treasure your beloved Cockers and give them a cuddle from me. 

Andrea

Offline Issy

• Donator
Re: Jazz Has Gone to the Bridge
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 07:05:31 AM »
Andrea I am so very sorry for your loss.  He sounded an amazing character, you were so very lucky to have each other and have some beautiful memories. Don’t blame yourself for going out you weren’t to know what was going to happen.  :bigarmhug::bigarmhug: for you.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 07:29:21 AM »
Oh Andrea, I‘m so sorry to hear this!! How ever much we try to prepare ourselves, we can never be ready for the pain when they have to leave us. There are no words of comfort that can fill  that awful gap they leave but time does eventually smooth the rawness of the shock and the grief and eventually, the wonderful happy memories will allow you to smile when you think of him. Hang on to the good times and try to concentrate on them, you did your best for your boy, he knew he was loved and although you‘re beating yourself up that you weren‘t there, believe me, it was far easier for Jazz to pass over the bridge naturally and in his own time than you having to have to make the hardest of all decisions for him. As you say, many of us have been through the pain of parting with our beloved companions and, although we can‘t physically put an arm around you on here, I hope that knowing we‘re sharing your sorrow will give you some comfort. Be kind to yourself, you did everything you could. All the best for your operation. Sending  :bigarmhug: Jayne x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 09:09:39 AM »
So sorry to hear you have lost your beloved boy  :'( :'(

No words can help right now, but look after yourself.  Jazz was a fantastic friend to you and you did everything you could for him - no one can ask for more, but it is so damned hard  :'(  :luv: :luv:

Hope all goes well with your operation  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Julie and Watson

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 09:19:54 AM »
So very very sorry to read this.  :016: :016:It's so hard to lose our beloved pals, under any circumstances. Please please don't beat yourself up that you weren't there at the end, no one can foresee these things. Be kind to yourself. We are all thinking of you  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline daydreams

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 09:25:18 AM »
so sorry to hear your sad news
take care

Offline revis

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 11:40:39 AM »
So sorry to read about Jazz.He was so loved by you for so long.Try and think back to all your happy times and how much you meant to each other.
A really difficult time for you having lost your husband as well i know that having lost Fraser then last year Maggie.
hoping your hip op goes well I had one last Jan and it was very good.
take care lots of love to you.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 12:27:45 PM »
Sorry to read about Jazz, he was a very much loved boy  :luv:

I don't get on here so often atm, but have been catching up today
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 01:28:41 PM »
I can't tell you how sorry I am to read this.  You have had so much to deal with and Jazz has been such a constant for you.  14 years old is a great achievement.  I am sorry that Jazz passed away when you ere out, however, you had your usual morning routine, and there was no stress involved.  Jazz was able to slip away peacefully, and in his own space where he was comfortable and secure.  There are no words to comfort you right now, but please be kind to yourself.   :bigarmhug:

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 03:25:43 PM »
So very sorry to read about your beloved Jazz Andrea  :'(  I think you were both very lucky to have each other  :luv:  It's so heart-breaking when we lose our furry friends but I found comfort knowing I'd done the best I could and just reading COL replies helped me, knowing these virtual friends know exactly what you are going through and how you are feeling. 

Take good care of yourself, Jazz is up there, pain-free, with all our other beloved pooches  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:  Lesley x
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline linda c

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 03:58:21 PM »
So very sorry to read about your loss of  beloved Jazz  :'( You loved and cared for him giving him a fabulous life. Thinking of you at this very sad time  :bigarmhug:

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 05:56:47 PM »
Thank you for all your replies.  It is a comfort to know other people can empathise with how I am feeling.  I have just walked into my lounge and said "Jazzy my hip is killing me".  Obviously I realised right away he wasn't there.  You talk to your doggy so much and me particularly being on my own now, the silence is deafening.   :luv:  :luv:

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 07:26:05 PM »
Andrea, you’re not alone,  we are all thinking of you, and here whenever you need a chat. We’ve know what you’re going through. He’s a star and so are you for caring for his medical problems.
Hugs, Patsyxxxxxxxxxxx
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 07:43:13 PM »
So very sorry to read this Andrea, he was such a big character and gave you so much comfort over the years.  Run free Jazz  :luv:

Thinking of you

Jayne and the girls

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 11:14:42 PM »
Having lost my Ollie I know there are no words to help, my thoughts are with you. Xx
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010