Author Topic: lung worm  (Read 2040 times)

Offline revis

lung worm
« on: January 08, 2019, 09:12:42 PM »
Jessie has not been herself since week before Xmas.she has been coughing a lot and at the end of each cough you think she will be sick but never is.
vet first thought heart problem then she was back there today.She was v good Xrayed no sedation.Heart slightly enlarged but usual in older dogs.Lungs slight shadow no lumps.
He then did blood test for lung worm and it was positive.She never goes out for walks as she is too frightened just runs in the garden.In the summer there were slugs and snails about
and i do smell fox in the garden.she is on steroids corvental and advocate.just hoping that she gets better quickly.In the last 9 years there have been no cases in the practise.Going on line
with the post code 2 cases showing in a 20 mile radius .Has anyone else had this in their dog.Its only 2-3 months ago she got her bloods back to normal after immune haemolytic anaemia.

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: lung worm
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 09:05:49 AM »
No personal experience with lung worm, and given Jessie's routine I am really surprised she picked it up. I hope the vet can get it sorted quickly. Poor girl, just getting over one thing and now another.  :bigarmhug:

Offline Issy

• Donator
Re: lung worm
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 07:37:29 PM »
Hi. My old terrier had lung worm 15 od years ago ( she didn’t eat snails either so it was a complete surprise when it was picked up by the vets treating her for a cough). Sorry but I can’t remember the name of the wormer she was treated with but I do remember that it was a paste that she had a huge amount of daily for a week or so.  It worked well and she died because of something completely unrelated many years later. I know it’s worrying but hopefully Jessie will feel much better soon.