Author Topic: Dogs in season  (Read 493 times)

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
Dogs in season
« on: August 05, 2013, 06:51:39 PM »
Our sons Mongrel (Springador) is supposed to be staying with us for a week starting 16th August. She has just started her first season.

I don't want to let him down, but I don't think its fair to have a bitch in season stay with an entire male.

Question is, is there anything she can be treated with so that;

1. She doesn't get pregnant

2. Makes her unattractive to Dennis. Dennis has never tried to mount any other dogs and I don't want him put in a strange position

Any advice gratefully received

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Dogs in season
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 07:51:56 PM »
Not sure on this but there may be a tablet (from the vets) to delay the oncoming of the season.

I'm not sure where I heard this from - but it may still be correct.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 08:08:27 PM »
Not sure about the season thing - it would be incredibly stressful for Dennis, even if they are kept separate, I think?  Would it be possible for her to go and stay with your daughter and Jessie to come to you?

Hope all are well?

x

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 10:23:10 PM »
Not sure about the season thing - it would be incredibly stressful for Dennis, even if they are kept separate, I think?  Would it be possible for her to go and stay with your daughter and Jessie to come to you?

Hope all are well?

x

Jayne, we are well thanks, but I think Dennis's testosterone levels are too high at the moment  >:D >:D >:D >:D

He was disobedient on the main park on Saturday, almost taunting me he was going to run on the road, same again on the small park this morning and at training tonight he was unbelievably bad  >:D >:D >:D

We just can't risk him being with an in season dog (he only thinks it is for weeing with at present), so our daughter is going to look after Ruby. I just hope Dennis can't smell her as its only 200 yds away from us  >:D >:D >:D >:D

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 10:57:54 PM »
My Nan's dog used to run 4 miles to find a bitch in season - in fact on his very last day he'd been missing for hours, spotted a couple of miles away by a local farmer, came tearing back into the garden at around dinner time.....through the rose border, promptly collapsed at her feet and died - one very happy and satisfied dog aged 17  :005:

Hopefully Dennis won't really know what it's all about ;)  I'm finding it hard to believe that the sweet, well behaved, very obedient dog of a week ago could have you so well trained already :005: