Author Topic: Rosie 14 coughing  (Read 3199 times)

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
Rosie 14 coughing
« on: March 17, 2015, 06:47:58 AM »
Rosie has had the occasional cough to clear her throat over the last few months, vet has checked & says heart is ok & that it is possibly Laryngeal paralysis that can happen in old dogs.

It's is now getting quite bad you can hear her in the night Trying to clear her throat, I have watched her do it in the day when she is a sleep it does not appear to fully wake her up just this severe deep cough.

But it is now happening frequently during the day & night Rosie is not on any medication for it, I had thought it also fits with a heart condition which my previous old dog did have.

Has anyone got experience of Laryngeal paralysis ?
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline zenon_bass

Re: Rosie 14 coughing
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 02:41:15 PM »
I'll be interested too in what others suggest. Millie snores like a trouper and makes horrendous noises if held by her collar.  Sounds like a setter I knew years ago with laryngeal paralysis...

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 04:31:47 PM »
I would've suggested heart condition too but no experience of the laryngeal paralysis
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 12:02:32 PM »
If it's a while since you went to the vets, could you possibly take her back?
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Fluff

• Donator
  • Daisy the whirling dervish
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 02:11:25 PM »
Belle suffers from acid reflux in the night which sounds like a coughing, gagging noise. It helps giving her a treat right at bedtime so her stomach isn't empty. Perhaps this is similar? Belle is 14 too. It doesn't seem to bother her but sounds v unpleasant, particularly at 4am!

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 07:01:23 PM »
Rosie was at the vets just 2 weeks ago over her pain relief

He rechecked her heart & really feels it's is this paralysis condition of the throat, she has a small super at 9pm so don't think she is getting acid reflux due to tummy being empty have a cocker that suffers with that Condition.

I know this condition can be operated on but would prefer not to just was hoping there may be another way of helping her
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack