Author Topic: Panting Excessively  (Read 2540 times)

Offline AndyB

• Donator
Panting Excessively
« on: August 08, 2016, 07:26:05 PM »
My boy Jazz has been panting much more than usual over the last few days.  At first I put it down to the warm weather and his age, he is now 11, and normally in pretty good health.  It seems to take him a long time to recover from a walk, although I always walk him at the coolest part of the day, and on some days recently I have not taken him if it has been very warm.  He has a cooling coat which I do use.  I am now concerned he may have heart disease and we have a vets appointment later this week.
Can anyone with a cocker of a similar age advise how their dog is reacting to this warm weather and whether they are panting more than usual.  Looking for some reassurance as my mind is in overdrive with possibilities.

Offline Markr64

• Donator
Re: Panting Excessively
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 08:08:14 PM »
I cannot offer any advice but I am pleased to hear that you have a vet check booked up. It will probably be nothing but a bit of old age creeping in but it is best to have it checked out. I am sending you a big  :bigarmhug: and hoping that you will be posting good news at the end of the week.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 09:38:16 PM »
Same here! Keeping fingers crossed for you!!  :bigarmhug:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 09:56:53 PM »
Think it wise to go to the vet, my Nana's old dog used to pant and it was pain related to arthritis.

Ollie is eight and must admit a hot day sees him out of sorts....the last hot spell we had actually saw him turn his nose up at his food.

Sending lots of love to Jazz.

Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 10:19:20 PM »
Hi Andrea,

I really hope it's nothing more than heat for Jazz but understand your worry.   All four of ours have been out of sorts while it's been so hot.  Coral has been sporting the cone of shame (eye surgery and spay at last!) and getting way too warm for my liking.  Pearl has her usual summer groom with a false apron but is still getting overheated and panting.  Miss Sally is choosing to stay indoors and Purdey just goes where Mark is  ;)

Let us know how you both get on xx

Offline daw

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 10:30:28 PM »
Good wishes to you both. Hopefully the vet will be able to offer a diagnosis and treatment. The heat has certainly taken its toll on most dogs.

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 10:35:23 PM »
Rosie is struggling with the heat at the moment, she is 13 next month. She is currently being treated for an ear infection, due to a benign tumour, but the panting is intermittent.

Her panting is really only when it's hot. Tonight it's been much cooler and we've had some rain and she's fine. I also gave her a hair cut at the weekend and made sure that the hair between her pads is short, as a dog sweats through it's feet.

Hope that Jazz's panting is due to nothing more than the heat
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 11:29:30 PM »
Ben is 13 and was diagnosed with a heart murmur when he was 11, and yes he is puffing and panting a bit in the warmer weather.  He has a cool coat and a cool mat and manages really well with these. A couple of days when it has been very humid we have not taken him for a walk.

I panicked when he was first diagnosed, but got lots of reassurance on here and to be honest it hasn't really made much difference to him apart from struggling in the heat.  He isn't on any meds as it hasn't deteriorated much in the last 2 years, and until recently he was still enjoying a good long walk every day. He has slowed up a bit this summer, but not specifically related to his heart murmur just old age !

Hope all goes well for Jazz at the vets  :luv:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 06:36:27 AM »
Did I hear heat?
Halt the Brexit, I wanna come back!! :005: :005:

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 04:31:44 PM »
Thanks for all your replies.  I have just returned from a modest walk with Jazz, I was feeling awful for not taking him yesterday, although he did spend several hours "gardening" with me.  Anyhow its not so warm today, with a nice fresh breeze so I decided to take him.  I let him set the pace and he walked quite briskly, the route we took is fairly flat and I let him decide when he wanted to turn around.  He is currently lying under the desk while I type this message and seems to be recovering fairly quickly.  I am hoping and praying it is just the warm weather, and maybe the fact he also needs a hair cut. 

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 12:42:30 PM »
it is warm at the moment even when the sun isn't out - I often have the fan on in the evening as much for me as it is for Lady and often she will lie in front of it on the cool quarry tiles

sometimes though to easy your fears its often best to get a check from a vet just to make sure (Lady has a heart murmur but isn't on any meds + she has lesions in her lungs but is panting more than usual at the moment)

far better to waste a good worry than wait and worry even more
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 02:08:26 PM »
Hi all

Been to the vet with Jazz.  Had a bit of a list I'm afraid.  I had found a lump inside his left thigh which I was also worrying about.  The vet has checked Jazz's heart and has no concerns there, which is good.  However, he wants to remove the lump.  He said he is not overly concerned as it is not attached to any muscle but he feels it will get bigger if not removed.  Jazz also has a couple of unsightly warts which will be removed at the same time.  He has quite a lot of warts but these two are a particular problem.  Also a deep ear clean while he is sedated.  He has had an ear problem which drops have helped a lot but as soon as I have used all the  drops, (Easotic drops),  the problem reoccurs.  Spaniels Ears !!!  It is like an over production of wax and they are rather smelly.   My poor boy. I am now very tearful and worried and about my precious boy.  Can't help it, he is what I share my home with since my husband died last year. 

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 04:30:25 PM »
Just wanted to send the pair of you lots of  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:   Take care, Lesley x
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 05:08:51 PM »
I can  understand how you must be feeling but try not to worry, I'm sure Jazz'll be absolutely fine and back to his usual self in a couple of days!
 :bigarmhug: