Author Topic: Fatty Lumps, warts an' all!  (Read 2759 times)

Offline Anniesmum

• Site Member
  • not again!
Fatty Lumps, warts an' all!
« on: November 03, 2016, 05:37:39 PM »
Annie, my cocker, is 11 and a half and is still full of beans, but I raised concerns with the vet when she had her 6 monthly check that her fatty lumps are quite big, and she is now got more than a dozen warts and tags on her body. The vet reassured me that this was a trait in cocker spaniels, but she is the first one we have had who has lived over the age of 10 and she is the only one who has had these.
Any advice - or reassurance from other cocker mums?
The vet when he first saw her (new vet) thought she was only about three or four!XXXX

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Re: Fatty Lumps, warts an' all!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 05:46:57 PM »
Can pnly speak from my experience, several of my dogs (scotties and Cockers) had fatty lumps and warts, kept an eye on them and had them 'felt' by the vet on each check up. Never caused a problem, all died of other things, oldest at 18. Lady next door had a corgi with one the size of a football on its side, was only removed because it got in the way. I think we all worry as soon as we feel a lump and think the worst, but nine out of ten are benign. Just be aware and if they change colour or grow, get them checked, otherwise relax   :D

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 06:12:00 PM »
My daughters cocker is over 12 and still running around like a pup!  He has lots of lumps one of which they had removed but they have left the others as they aren't getting in the way

Offline Anniesmum

• Site Member
  • not again!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 07:16:57 PM »
Thank you both for replying and the reassurance - I'm like an overprotective mother with her, of which she takes full advantage of course!XXXX

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 08:07:32 PM »
Ben (13) has lots of little fatty lumps and warty bits, the first few I found I rushed him off to the vets but since then I haven't bothered as they don't seem to worry him and they are not painful. Just makes clipping him tricky as I am scared of catching one

Lovely to hear Annie is still full of beans  :luv:

Offline revis

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 08:51:06 PM »
Maggie is 13 and has so many warts. She is the first one of our dogs who has lived to this age. The warts don't worry her. Archie who is my daughters cocker had a large fatty lump removed a few days ago and he is feeling very sorry for himself. Lots of stitches and only on the lead walks.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 09:00:32 AM »
My first Cocker, Josh, lived until almost 17 and had lots of fatty lumps and warts. I think he started hatching them when he was about 9 or so, but it's a long time ago now so I'm not too sure. He had a wart removed from the top of his head because he kept knocking it and making it bleed, and another removed from his throat because he kept scratching it and it became infected. That one was quite tricky because he was about 14 and it took a long time to heal. None of his fatty lumps were in difficult places or grew large, so they never caused him a problem. I also had his half brother, Sam, and sadly lost him to a back problem aged 11. But he didn't have any warts or fatty lumps.

Now I have 7 year old Louis, a lump free dog so far, and 12 year old William. In the last couple of years he's had 3 surgeries for lumps and bumps. The first was when a fatty lump next to his penis (known in the family as Willy's willy lump :005:) was getting to a size where it was going to start interfering with his waterworks, so was removed. Then he had two fast growing viral papilloma in between the pads of two of his feet. They were starting to bleed a bit through contact with the ground so had to be removed. Then a fatty lump on the side of his hindquarters appeared and started to grow quickly. A needle biopsy showed spindle cells, which are sometimes cancerous, so it was removed. Fortunately when the lump was checked after removal there was no sign of cancer.

William currently has 3 small warts and one small fatty lump, none of which are bothering him and don't seem to be growing or changing.

Offline bella15

• Site Member
  • Cody
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 01:47:52 PM »
Our Connie  (working cocker) will be 15 on 2nd may next year ,she has fatty lumps & warts but still runs around like a puppy .The only difference between her & the others is that she now sleeps more

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 05:25:10 PM »
Penny is 7 I found a lump in groin and last nipple whlst chcing for seed afteraxwalk which do daily It was bi as pear the vet said she was sure t was a fatty impoma and advised mevto have it removed It was anshe had stiches and a drain she wa so good happy whenshe came home andcwaggy tai when she saw her. Jenny had warts to and lump amd so hasLois but luckily they caused no problems
I.
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline Anniesmum

• Site Member
  • not again!
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 02:33:21 PM »
Thank you all for replying - it's a relief to hear that Annie isn't the only one! I have discovered a great manuka honey ointment which I put on her warts if they get caught and start bleeding - especially when she is being clipped, and it seems to work wonders! I'm not sure if I can mention what it is so I won't say but you can get it online!
Annie is now lying snoring on her couch after a visit to her human Granny - it always wears her out!XXXXX